Unknown illness?

GingerGremlin

In the Brooder
Jul 22, 2023
I'm sorry in advance for the long post but I wanted to give as much information as possible!

I just treated my chickens with topical ivermectin the night before last but today my favorite chicken is doing very poorly, she's laying around with her head pulled in and her eyes closed. She will come out from under things to stand under or close to me but is trying to avoid the other girls the best she can. They've been missing head and back feathers for a couple months now we thought it was our Rooster being too aggressive with them (he was a menace) so we auctioned him but after their feathers started growing back in I caught a girl pulling her own feathers out and their skin is still very red and raw (this was multiple weeks after the rooster was gone, unsure exact timing), after some investigation in the coop and finding some black spots like mite droppings I came to the conclusion it was mites so I have been treating and cleaning the coop and offering them DE in their dust baths and extra probiotics and electrolytes in their water until the day before yesterday when I got the ivermectin as a hail mary for what I think is depluming mites. Is there anything else I should be doing? My favorite chicken probably got sick first she's the first one I noticed missing feathers but today is the first day she's looked this bad. Her poop looks normal to me but I've only had chickens for about a year so I'm far from an expert. I'm grateful for any help I hate seeing her suffer like this...

Attachments

• 20230723_110210.jpg
    20230723_110210.jpg
    665.3 KB · Views: 107
  • 20230723_110026.jpg
    20230723_110026.jpg
    442.6 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_110031.jpg
    20230723_110031.jpg
    406.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_110033.jpg
    20230723_110033.jpg
    486 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_110052.jpg
    20230723_110052.jpg
    551.8 KB · Views: 3
  • 20230723_110042.jpg
    20230723_110042.jpg
    853.8 KB · Views: 3
That does look like rooster abuse to me. Since he's gone, and you treated for mites, then that should help if they had those too. I'd personally keep sprinkling DE in the coop too about once/twice a month to keep the mites out of there.

Extra protein helps grow feathers back. Sometimes plucking and/or eating their own feathers is a sign they're lacking protein.

Some things very high in protein are mealworms, black soldier flies, scrambled eggs, tuna, cat food, and black oil sunflower seeds. Be careful not to overdo it as too high of protein over a long period of time can be harmful to chickens as well.

Regardless the cause, I would be upping their protein and keep up extra probiotics and vitamin water every other day or so.

That does look like rooster abuse to me. Since he's gone, and you treated for mites, then that should help if they had those too. I'd personally keep sprinkling DE in the coop too about once/twice a month to keep the mites out of there.

Extra protein helps grow feathers back. Sometimes plucking and/or eating their own feathers is a sign they're lacking protein.

Some things very high in protein are mealworms, black soldier flies, scrambled eggs, tuna, cat food, and black oil sunflower seeds. Be careful not to overdo it as too high of protein over a long period of time can be harmful to chickens as well.

Regardless the cause, I would be upping their protein and keep up extra probiotics and vitamin water every other day or so.
I do have them on extra protein food right now and I use black soldier flies to lure them into the covered run at night before it gets too dark, I definitely will keep treating the coop I worry a little I might even be overdoing it with my scorched earth method... Thank you!

Back
Top Bottom