unknown injuries(?)

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Travis James, Sep 24, 2012.

1. Travis James

Travis James New Egg

Sep 24, 2012
    Friday morning I found what appeared as an injury from wildlife (i don't know, grasping at straws) a puncture like wound under her wing, on the body. By lunch another duck had a hole, the size of an average lemon, into his chest (no apparent discomfort at the time). Come Saturday the last of the three Chinese Runners had two lesions, one on either side of the body (one again under the wing). Tried rinsing out with hydrogen peroxide Friday/Saturday and received a dressing powder recommended by the local feed store that I used on Sunday and again this morning. When I applied this morning I noticed the smell (everyone knows the death smell) and maggots, yet they are more aware today then they have been all weekend. I know it sounds horrible but if I thought they were in pain or anything I would not let them suffer. I've raised chickens, ducks and turkeys by the hundreds, 700-800 at a time over the years and have never seen anything like this.

2. CelticOaksFarm

CelticOaksFarm Family owned, family run

Sep 7, 2009
    Florida - Space Coast
    If they have been on a pond it could be turtles. If there are maggots they are being eatten alive and the wounds need rinsed completely removing all maggots. You will want to keep them inside a garage or another location where flies cant relay eggs starting it all over again.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by