Unknown large skin growth - please help identify!

Mopsa Mum

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2016
Two year old hen, hasn't laid in a long time. Bright eyed, comb and wattle nicely red, eating and drinking well.
However, she has a loss of feathers on her neck which we thought was feather pulling but when I picked her up to look, she had these large growths on her skin almost looking as if they are coming out of the feather follicles. Now she has one under her wing which is about 5 cm in diameter at the base and at least as tall, shaped like a cone and hard at the top. It moves freely from the tissue under the skin, is not bleeding or oozing anything - but what is it and how do I treat it? Other than this, she seems really well!

Here are some photos!

Hope someone can help.

Thanks.

Welcome to BYC. Sorry, but the photos did not show up. Try again to post them. Tumors can be common in chickens, especially when they have avian lymphoid leukosis or Mareks disease. Hopefully, it is not one of those. Did you hen receive any vaccinations? Feathers can become ingrown and cause a lump. Also pecking may cause an abscess. Hopefully your pictures will show up soon. New members sometimes need to post a few times, first.

T

This is under her right wing! I hadn't spotted it until I saw her having a dust bath. She has had other similar smaller 'growths' which I associated with her moulting and feather regrowth, but this seems too big.

Hopefully these photos will show up this time.

The area at the base of the last picture looks suspicious for a tumor. If you lose her, it might be beneficial to get a necropsy performed by the state vet or poultry lab in your state or area. That way, you would know if there could be a virus such as Mareks or avian leukosis in your flock. Both cause tumors, but Mareks also can cause paralysis due to tumors along nerves. You can search at the top of this page for threads about those two diseases, or Google them for more information. Let us know how she gets along.

Back
Top Bottom