Unknown objects in eggs

Hello there and welcome to BYC!
frow.gif

Sorry about your eggs! Is this happening in just one hens eggs? I think this is ok. It looks to me to be bits and pieces of oviduct breaking off as the yolk is moving down the tube. Hens do shed skin and lining over time. Depending on the age of this bird, as she ages, this could get worse. My 4 year old hens will occasionally what is called a Lash egg. The oviduct and uterus is shedding lining and it comes out like an egg. A gooey funky looking egg. Sometimes things get left behind in the uterus as well so the next egg picks it up. I don't THINK it is worms, however it never hurts to worm them once a year just in case. With heavy infestations, worms can crawl back from the intestines toward the vent and then make a sharp turn up into the oviduct, crawling past the uterus and be caught by a yolk. This is how worms get into eggs. Most worms are too small to see with the naked eye, however tapeworms are large enough to see egg and tapeworm segments.

Good luck and I hope you can get down to the bottom of your egg issues!!

Welcome to our flock! :)

Hello there and welcome to BYC! :frow

Sorry about your eggs! Is this happening in just one hens eggs? I think this is ok. It looks to me to be bits and pieces of oviduct breaking off as the yolk is moving down the tube. Hens do shed skin and lining over time. Depending on the age of this bird, as she ages, this could get worse. My 4 year old hens will occasionally what is called a Lash egg. The oviduct and uterus is shedding lining and it comes out like an egg. A gooey funky looking egg. Sometimes things get left behind in the uterus as well so the next egg picks it up. I don't THINK it is worms, however it never hurts to worm them once a year just in case. With heavy infestations, worms can crawl back from the intestines toward the vent and then make a sharp turn up into the oviduct, crawling past the uterus and be caught by a yolk. This is how worms get into eggs. Most worms are too small to see with the naked eye, however tapeworms are large enough to see egg and tapeworm segments. 

Good luck and I hope you can get down to the bottom of your egg issues!! 

Welcome to our flock! :)

I think it is pieces of tissue. I took her last egg into a local feed and farm shop. They had a magnifying instruction and that's what it looks like.There were actually 3 pieces and they were very dark. She is only about 2 and it's in only her eggs but every one. I just hope she is ok! Love my chickens!

Back
Top Bottom