unknown perp attacking chicken feed container

I'm guessing raccoon. We used to foster and rehab them many years ago. I once saw a raccoon moving 40 pound bales of hay to get what he wanted, and he made it look easy. I think an adult coon could move the barrel with no trouble at all, and it would be a piece of cake for two or more working together.

My BIL has an infrared camera focused on his woods so predators don't get to close, very inexpensive,and it works great.
caf.gif
pop.gif

Finally saw the culprit or DH and the dogs did. It was a raccoon, young, which is probably why it went for the feed and not the sweet grain or the chickens but it did finally try to get in the coop. Didn't make it.
DH whacked it a few times with a stick to scare it off. Said he never heard a raccoon growl before. I think I would growl too if I was getting whacked. It didn't come back for a couple nights but it was back again last night and moved the containers again.
He says he doesn't want to shoot it since it is young but can it be relocated if we can get it in a container? Will they go in a live trap? And what would make the best bait - besides a chicken?

Ya know what i would do???

I'd cook up chcken for dinner and any left overs put in the live trap, yep you can catch em int ehre we have many times them and oppossums. The reason i say chicken is because i wuold be heart broken if you lost your chickens any more nights from now because of this coon cuz soon it will try and could easily succeed. This way if it has chicken in a cage on the ground for it wala, it doesnt ahve to rip through the cage to get a chicken it can just walk in this nice cage dining area and SMACK! ...(cage shuting lol).

Raccoons can be vicious that growling is just one step away threat from "i will bite you!" LOL! SO be careful
smile.png

I wouldn't give that lil guy too much love (it being a small guy) because the more it gets used to you guys teh more it's just giong to get a thirst for chicken.

Most dogs wont mess witha raccoon unless they're really stupid or really tough. A raccoon can keep a bear away.

Quote:
If you want to trap and relocate, please check with your local wildlife rescue group or the games and parks people. It is illegal in most areas to relocate wildlife. It causes the spread of disease. They can advise you on whether you should relocate it and where.

Back
Top Bottom