Unknown skin condition

CoopWitch

Chirping
Jun 18, 2022
I am at a loss! I had suspected FAVUS buy now with the way the skin is flaking off rather than becoming patchy and white I am concerned for mites? I have checked them all over for mites and nothing, no mite eggs either. I did treat the chickens, their coop and run with Elector PSP last night just in case. I am in touch with my vet to hopefully setup an appointment for next week, hoping for a skin scraping. Anyone experience this? I am applying vaseline but have also read about Nu Stock ointment. I feel like I am failing my chickens at this point.
20230813_160642.jpg
20230813_161250.jpg
20230813_161258.jpg
20230813_161137.jpg

I would have suspected favus as well. It is hard to know for sure, so good to have the vet look at a skin scraping under a microscope. Scaly face mites can affect the face as well. But there have been a number of threads lately about chickens with peeling skin lesions. What are you feeding? I would be tempted to start some B complex or super B vitamins daily, in case of a deficiency. Those have all the B’s, biotin, and even some C. They can be crushed and added to a treat or food, or mixed in water. Hard to overdose, but most use 1/4-1/2 tablet daily. Let us know what the vet says.

I would have suspected favus as well. It is hard to know for sure, so good to have the vet look at a skin scraping under a microscope. Scaly face mites can affect the face as well. But there have been a number of threads lately about chickens with peeling skin lesions. What are you feeding? I would be tempted to start some B complex or super B vitamins daily, in case of a deficiency. Those have all the B’s, biotin, and even some C. They can be crushed and added to a treat or food, or mixed in water. Hard to overdose, but most use 1/4-1/2 tablet daily. Let us know what the vet says.
Thank you for your response. I do not think it is dietary. I am feeding Scratch and Peck, I ferment it a few times a week. They also have free access to Nutrena Hearty Hen pellets. They get a probiotic, kelp granules, flax, marigold flowers, oregano, parsley and garlic powder on their food a couple days a week as well. For treats they get fresh leafy greens, blueberries, apples, sweet potatoes, dandelion greens, occasional grubs.

The scratch and peck feeds sometimes cause them to first pick out the most yummy seeds or grains, leaving some of the added supplements behind. Too many treats can also dilute the good balance of the feed. Feed usually has all they need, so I would probably just give an occasional treat of one thing at a time. Let us know if it turns out to be favus. Fungus can be treated with miconazole, clotrimazole, or the Nustock cream. Betadine is sometimes used as well.

The scratch and peck feeds sometimes cause them to first pick out the most yummy seeds or grains, leaving some of the added supplements behind. Too many treats can also dilute the good balance of the feed. Feed usually has all they need, so I would probably just give an occasional treat of one thing at a time. Let us know if it turns out to be favus. Fungus can be treated with miconazole, clotrimazole, or the Nustock cream. Betadine is sometimes used as well.
I ferment or wet their Scratch and Peck so the powder vitamin sticks to the feed. They also do not scratch it out when it is wet. But they get Hearty Hen as well. I do not give treats often, I just wanted to list what they get. They get greens because they do not free range due to aerial predators. Free ranging birds eat greens all day so I wouldn't think kale would be an issue. I did try miconazole for two weeks and no change.

Back
Top Bottom