unknown

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by chickensurgen123, Jan 2, 2012.

1. chickensurgen123

chickensurgen123 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    Can I use a microwave to incubate chicks?!

2. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    No

3. Linn Bee

Linn Bee Chillin' With My Peeps

I hope you were joking?

The microwave is great for cooking your eggs ( a bit rubbery for me ) but incubating chicken eggs takes 21 days of specific temps, humidity, and turning that cannot be met with a microwave. I suggest you do a bit more reading on this wonderful site. Check out some of the incubating threads.

Welcome to BYC!

4. justbugged

justbugged Head of the Night Crew for WA State

Jan 27, 2009
    Enumclaw
    You could turn a microwave oven into a bator. You should remove the control panel and anything that might make the oven operational as a microwave oven first. Then you would need to add a means to control temperature and a safe heat source. Also you will need to add humidity, and a method of turning the eggs.

5. chickensurgen123

chickensurgen123 New Egg

Feb 21, 2011
    Completely.. I need ten posts to change my profile picture trying to think of things to say.

6. ck-newbe

ck-newbe Out Of The Brooder

Dec 2, 2010
    Boone, NC
    Quote:Cute. post some stuff under pictures and stories of my chickens section. How many chickens do you have? What breeds? What did they do today?

7. mandygake22

mandygake22 New Egg

Jan 2, 2012
    Last edited: Jan 9, 2012
  8. sunny & the 5 egg layers

sunny & the 5 egg layers Overrun With Chickens

Mar 29, 2011
    [​IMG] You would end up with an Omelet.

9. Chemguy

Chemguy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 30, 2011
    Springfield, Ohio
    The 'oven' part of a microwave is a well-insulated box. I think it could be converted into an incubator without problems. The electronics (esp the magnetron) would need to be removed, but the freed space could be repurposed to house incubator essentials.

10. Me & Jack

Me & Jack Chillin' With My Peeps

May 31, 2009
    NC
    LOL! Why not just say something in a foreign language no one will understand? That way nobody will have a heart attack at the thought of little chicks being boiled alive in a microwave!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by