Unorganized content

Wow, lots of GREAT discussion in here, thanks everyone for helping to make (keep) BYC so amazing!!!!

From a high-level:

BYC Learning Center: This is for articles that have been "vetted" to some degree. We do our best (with the help of our moderators, VPMs, and other helpers) to make sure the articles in this section are of the quality needed to help visitors to BYC take the best care of their flocks.

Member Pages: This section was setup as a space for members to post free-form content of their choosing... kinda like user blogs. We do NOT moderate the content in this section for "quality", but do our best to moderate for anything that might violate our rules. (We often see cases where new members post an article instead of a forum thread. Our moderators can convert these articles to threads, so if you see these, please report them).

We definitely rely on our community to help determine if content in the Learning Center should potentially be updated or even moved to Member Pages. We also try to find great articles in the "Member Pages" that meets our requirements and should be in the Learning Center.

Keep the ideas coming!!!!

I'm also willing to help organize however I can. One thing I see is that the member pages section has 10k articles. That number seems overwhelming. The articles on the first page are excellent, but there must surely be many excellent articles after the first page that get lost/never read. I also see that the Learning Center doesn't have a category for "Behaviors and Egg Laying" like the Forums does, and many excellent (but lost) member pages articles would fall under this category. And maybe call the Learning section category "Poultry behaviors and Egg Laying" to include not just chickens, but ducks, etc etc. Maybe it would help to add some other categories in the Learning Center similiar to the forums, and separate Member pages articles into those new categories too? For instance, a section for Genetics and Breeding. There are some serious genetic whizzes on BYC, and people could learn a lot if those genetics experts wrote articles.

I suspect my ideas may require reading through 10k member pages articles to separate into other categories. Am I willing to do that? Yes! I love to read, except it would probably take the rest of my life and then some to read through 10k articles. But I am willing to do all I can. Also, it was mentioned earlier on this thread that many articles contain inaccuracies. I have not seen that but it saddened me to hear, because if anyone posts misinformation on the forums, someone with more knowledge will soon come along and make a correction. Someone (I can't remember the user name) recently said on one of the forums, that BYC is the largest "peer-reviewed website in the world." I loved that! So maybe have a committee of peers to review articles, not to edit for grammatical errors etc, but to at least ensure info is factual and correct? And if inaccuracies are found, pm the article writer asking them to correct those inaccuracies?

I'm brainstorming, and maybe my ideas are not feasible to implement, idk. Just saying, I'm willing to help implement Any ideas that could improve the articles section in any way!
Yes! Love this!

I don't know if anything can be done about it, but though I might as well bring it up.
Most of the time, my internet is to slow to use the articles, because there is so many photos in them, that it takes forever to load.
Its not a problem if I know what article I want, but I can't scroll through to find things.
Is there any way one could like add an index or something, so just to find things one doesn't have to have all the photos?
I am not suggesting one should put less photos in!
If it is only me, then I guess its not worth it though.

I don't know if anything can be done about it, but though I might as well bring it up.
Most of the time, my internet is to slow to use the articles, because there is so many photos in them, that it takes forever to load.
Its not a problem if I know what article I want, but I can't scroll through to find things.
Is there any way one could like add an index or something, so just to find things one doesn't have to have all the photos?
I am not suggesting one should put less photos in!
If it is only me, then I guess its not worth it though.
Have you tried clearing your cache and cookies?

Back
Top Bottom