unpopular chicken opinions??

Isn’t that a BBQ rib? Doesn’t look like a chicken leg to me
Better?

mr bean chicken GIF

I think my definition of an Easter Egger seems to be unpopular. Most people think an EE is a muffed bird that has pea comb and lays blue eggs.

An Easter Egger is a bird with Ameraucana, Araucana, or Legbar background. Let me explain.

A first gen cross of any of the blue egg laying breeds will ALWAYS be an Easter Egger. - Pretty common. Here's where things begin getting fuzzy and unpopular.

All second gen crosses will also be Easter Eggers, whether they lay colored eggs or not.

Then if you cross the second gen crosses all the ones who lay blue eggs are still EEs. No questions asked.

But if you have girls who lay brown eggs it gets complicated. If they came from a mother who laid a blue egg they are still EEs. But if they came from a brown egg they are just mixed breeds - but it's still acceptable to call them Easter Eggers.

As you get further along through breeding with no new blue egg genes getting added they are no long Easter Eggers but simply mixes. When exactly to draw the line is hard. I would say probably when a lot of the traits from the original blue egg parent start to fade. (Legbar, Araucana, Ameraucana.)

Hatchery colored layers get fuzzy.

When they first start selling them with a fancy name they are still just EEs. But once they start breeding true they still aren't an official breed but aren't just simply Easter Eggers anymore. They are just hatchery hybrids.

Mixed color Ameraucanas are also fuzzy. According to many breeders even mixed color Ameraucanas are Easter Eggers even if they came from two pure Ameraucana parents.

For me, I think they are still Ameraucanas. Not Easter Eggers. Though I will call them EEs until proven that they came from Ameraucana parents and the person with a "mixed color Ameraucana" know what they are talking about and didn't just buy an "Americana."

I also don't believe there is such in thing as an "Easter Egger Mix." EEs are mutts as it is. I think they are either Easter Eggers or not.

Unpopular? yes. :caf

Oh, and also Olive Eggers are a subsection of Easter Egger. Olive Eggers and EEs aren't different things. OE is just more specific.
I maintain breeding pens for egg color. My goals:
Blue (Ameraucana)
Tinted and mint (Spanish x EE)
Pink-brown and money green (Australorp x EE)
Terracotta-brown and sage green (Marans x EE)
Chocolate-brown and olive green (Penedesenca x EE)
Other egg shell colors: Gold, Yellow Green, Gray). 😎

I maintain breeding pens for egg color. My goals:
Blue (Ameraucana)
Tinted and mint (Spanish x EE)
Pink-brown and money green (Australorp x EE)
Terracotta-brown and sage green (Marans x EE)
Chocolate-brown and olive green (Penedesenca x EE)
Other egg shell colors: Gold, Yellow Green, Gray). 😎
What do you use to achieve the gray?

Back
Top Bottom