UNRESPONSIVE DUCKLING - Now resolved

SweetLilDuckies

Chirping
May 6, 2020
8-9 day old duckling can't hold it's head upright and is totally unresponsive. It was isolated from the other 3. I can feel it breathing. Any way to save it?

UPDATE: Can now sometimes hold up it's head, it's now peeping and reacting when I pick it up. It is constipated though and when I've tried giving it water it hasn't wanted any.

Last edited:
Awe, poor baby! I had a goose that was similar...I did manage to keep him alive (he may have had other problems, as even when he grew up, he wasn't normal and I eventually had to put him down).

Make sure he is warm and try to keep him dry. I would use a dropper and give him a few drops of water at a time on the tip of his bill, hopefully he will swallow some. Chick electrolytes can really help if you are able to get him to drink.

He will need food to get better. I would wet some of the chick feed into a watery mash and take little dollops on your finger and smear it on his bill...hopefully he will start to perk up and nibble it.

Just be persistent! When I have done this, they wouldn't always drink or eat at first, and then if they have the will to live, sometimes something just switches and they start taking little bits of food and water.

I'm sorry this is happening! It's a horrible thing. I hope the little baby survives, good luck!!

Oh, I'm so sorry for your loss! It's always hard to lose one. Just know, it was not your fault! This kind of thing happens, and unfortunately sometimes there is nothing that can save them.

Hope your other babies are doing good!

Back
Top Bottom