Unresponsive eye??

Nope, I isolated it because of its wry neck. It just sleeps in a cushioned box by itself.

I think it's around 2.5-3 weeks old. My aunt ordered a flock of chicks to start a farm and about one week in, there was this one chick that couldn't stand and had a twisted neck. They removed it from the brooder and just left it in a box so I took it in instead.
Well I'm not sure why its blind. Is there pus in the eye making it look blind?
Right now lets focus on treating the wry neck. Give it vitamin E 400 IU given daily orally along with the egg. You need to give the vitamin E for a couple of weeks.

Poor thing, it may just be failure to thrive.
This chick looks to be under a week old, how old is it?
What vitamin E are you giving?
Not quite sure what's going on with the eye.
If you have any Nutri-Drench try giving it some.
Just realized I missed this response! It's very small for its age. The rest of the flock weighed 100-200g while this chick still only weighs 74g. It did gain weight through from 3 days ago.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Nutri-Drench on hand but we have a packet of vit B12 and A plus probiotics and antibiotics. Would that be okay?
Well I'm not sure why its blind. Is there pus in the eye making it look blind?
Right now lets focus on treating the wry neck. Give it vitamin E 400 IU given daily orally along with the egg. You need to give the vitamin E for a couple of weeks.
Doesn't seem to be any pus. The iris is just this dark reddish almost brown color and the pupil is cloudy

I was giving it 400 IU vit E gel capsules but my chick had blood in its poop and it was very alarming. I read that in humans, vit E toxicity can cause bleeding and diarrhea? I've stopped in the meantime and have been giving it a slurry (I have to tube feed it) of egg yolk, fine mash, B complex, electrolytes, and lettuce for the vit K since we don't have supplements. But I have no idea if what I'm doing is right. It hasn't pooped yet so I'll have to wait and see if there's still blood.

Unfortunately, we don't have any Nutri-Drench on hand but we have a packet of vit B12 and A plus probiotics and antibiotics. Would that be okay?
That should be ok.
I was giving it 400 IU vit E gel capsules but my chick had blood in its poop and it was very alarming. I read that in humans, vit E toxicity can cause bleeding and diarrhea? I've stopped in the meantime and have been giving it a slurry (I have to tube feed it) of egg yolk, fine mash, B complex, electrolytes, and lettuce for the vit K since we don't have supplements. But I have no idea if what I'm doing is right. It hasn't pooped yet so I'll have to wait and see if there's still blood.
If there is still blood in the poop I would treat for coccidiosis using Corid, I should have mentioned it earlier.

That should be ok.

If there is still blood in the poop I would treat for coccidiosis using Corid, I should have mentioned it earlier.
Alright. It just pooped and it doesn't look like yesterday's poop which had a mix of dark red blood but now it's liquidy and pink. I checked the poop guide and couldn't find anything that looks like it. Took a photo with the flash on and off
IMG_20220819_120612.jpg
IMG_20220819_120633.jpg

I've read that chickens shed their intestinal lining. Could this be it?

Alright. It just pooped and it doesn't look like yesterday's poop which had a mix of dark red blood but now it's liquidy and pink. I checked the poop guide and couldn't find anything that looks like it. Took a photo with the flash on and offView attachment 3228112View attachment 3228104
I've read that chickens shed their intestinal lining. Could this be it?
I could be intestinal lining but I would treat for cocci just in case, it wouldn't hurt to do so.

I could be intestinal lining but I would treat for cocci just in case, it wouldn't hurt to do so.
Alright, is amprolium the generic name for it? I might just purchase that in case I can't find Corid specifically where I'm from. Thank you!

Just wanted to make an update. The right eye (the one with the iris that turned reddish brown and the pupil that turned cloudy) seems like it's back to normal but now the previously good eye has gone cloudy, not in the same way as the other one. It started with whitish spots on the outside of the iris and now half the eyeball is pretty cloudy.

It took my chick 13 hours to poop again after the night it pooped blood then it pooped again after 7-8 hours (poop was wet and pinkish). Today, it took about 10 hours before it pooped (wet orangey brown) but it's only pooped once today which is very unusual and idk what this is a symptom of.

The cloudy eyes make me think it has Marek's. It's consistent with other symptoms like wry neck and weak legs but idk how likely that is since the chick has been living inside our house away from the rest of the flock outside. Also, the other chicks have grown with 0 problems.

I also fear it has coccidiosis but its diarrhea and bloody poop are also consistent with Vitamin E overdose which I think I did.

I also think it has a respiratory problem because despite tube feeding it at least 5x a day for the last 2 weeks, I still mess up sometimes and the food goes back up its throat. I'm not sure if it's breathing heavier than normal or of I'm imagining it but when the food goes up, it starts gasping. Sometimes it opens and closes its mouth a bit while sleeping. Idk if it's cause of pneumonia or trouble breathing from its twisted neck. I feel like I've really messed up. Now I don't know what to treat it for. Do I rule out Marek's and treat it as vitamin deficiency? should I treat it for coccidiosis? should I treat it for aspiration pneumonia?

Idk which to handle first since I know amprolium shouldn't be mixed with vitamins but my chick needs them. I've also given it antibacterial but idk if that'll mess with the amprolium or vitamins. I don't know where to start and I feel like there's nothing I can do 😞

Edit: dunno if this'll help but here's its most recent poop, 6-7 hours after its last one. I found it late so it's a bit dried up already. I only give it 2.5ml of raw egg yolk mixed with mash and I gave it water with vitamins, electrolytes, tiamulin, and doxycylin. idk if I'm giving it enough food but it's crop does get fairly full and I noticed when I go over 2.5ml-3ml, the food has a higher chance of going back up my chick's throat.
IMG_20220821_010557.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_20220821_010557.jpg
    IMG_20220821_010557.jpg
    109.5 KB · Views: 1
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom