Unsure about this leg

12Under1Roof

In the Brooder
10 Years
Jul 16, 2009
NH
We have 6 hens (2 chicks inside as well) out in the coop with run. I have had this hen since she was days old. I was told she is a Buckeye. She is the friendliest of them all. I dont have a roo.

Anyhoo, one day last week while doing my wellness checks on the hens, I noticed her leg was crooked.
I just now got someone to help me hold her so I could get a pic. It seems like the joint (is it elbow?) is going inward.
She has no trouble walking, running, jumping up to the roost at night, eats and drinks normally like the others.
What do you think couldve happened? I hoping its just a slight disability (dont know what else to call it) and she can live a normal life.
The second pic is her standing straight up. See how crooked it is? (I have my hand there just to keep her from walking away)

IMG_2983.jpg

IMG_2984.jpg

ps sorry about the dirty feet in the pic lol

Looks like a rotated tibia and/or slipped tendon. She may have gotten it caught in something and pulled on it. Do a little neuro test on her to see if she still is curling her toes if you put your finger under them, check the hock for swelling and inflammation. She may need cage rest and splinting to keep from getting worse, which it could. If tendon slipped, you may need to pop back into groove. Also, vit supplement as sometimes this can occur as a deficiency although I would rather think she got it caught. Vit B complex. Do a search on here for slipped tendon/rotated tibia for others info. You can watch and do cage rest or begin to try to treat to prevent any worsening.

I have read, credit to DCT, poultry orthopedist, that using a sponge brace can help. Have not tried this, but her advice is very good with these problems and she has helped me on some tricky ones.

From DCT: For rotating tibia case that she treated: Each night for five nights wrapped one leg in
sponge to prevent bruising (does NOT matter which
leg) and then taped both legs firmly together
overnight. REMOVE WATER CONTAINER WHEN
DOING THIS--drowning can happen.
Removed tape and sponge each morning so that
she could eat and drink all day.
-----------
Also have used a "sponge brace" on individuals
that were harder to treat. This is a piece of
sofa cushion sponge cut to fit between the legs
with a leg shaped channel cut to help keep this
in position. Tape is wrapped around it, too.

I would add an aside to use tape that is gentle or vet wrap, and be sure not to get too tight around a leg as this can cause circulatory problems. You would want to separate of course, and keep in cage during this. Keep on nonslip and soft surface like a towel with puppy pad over it so she has traction and cushioning if she flounders.

Remember, this is not vet advice, just purely experiential with no claims to being the same as an avian vet....although depending where you live those can be hard to come by!

Back
Top Bottom