Unsure of the Breed of my Ducklings

JustKayla

In the Brooder
Jan 18, 2019
Queensland, Australia
Hiya,
I recently got two ducklings about 4, maybe 5 weeks ago & I am so unsure about what their breed is. I got told that they are Indian Runner but I can’t help thinking that they might not actually be Indian Runners. Where I got them aren’t the best on their breeds and sexing of ducks. I ended up with 2 males rather than 2 females, not that I mind though cause I love them all the same.
Anyways, if someone is able to give me a little push in the right direction for their breeds that would be great. I like to do my research on my ducks’ breeds so I have a better understanding of them & the caring of them.

Both have the “afro” on their heads. Alex’s (yellow) is much, much larger than Aubrey’s. I’ve attached photos of them :)

I’m also wondering just how old they are. They’ve just started losing their “fluffy” feathers & every google search keeps telling me different & getting me confused, haha.
TIA for any advice that can be given, it’s truly appreciated.

1445778D-9204-4505-87B7-32832BEC5C69.jpeg F65BD1F3-1A02-4B32-A7D1-31B38CBD8BAD.jpeg

Super cute but definitely no runners. Not sure about Aubrey, it could be a Rouen as @Miss Lydia suggests, it could also be a mix of other breeds, due to the little crest. Alex looks like a white crested duck to me, afaik White Layers do not develop crests and "Bali" ducks stand more upright, like Runners.
If you don't hear that little quax-sound at the end their peeps at that age, they are both likely boys. No problem with a boy-only flock, just don't dare to add a single girl.

Super cute but definitely no runners. Not sure about Aubrey, it could be a Rouen as @Miss Lydia suggests, it could also be a mix of other breeds, due to the little crest. Alex looks like a white crested duck to me, afaik White Layers do not develop crests and "Bali" ducks stand more upright, like Runners.
If you don't hear that little quax-sound at the end their peeps at that age, they are both likely boys. No problem with a boy-only flock, just don't dare to add a single girl.
I guess I was sort of on the mark about their body shape when I was talking to my mum, haha. I have an Indian Runner x, she was slim at their age and tall.

They have just started the little quack noise at the end of their squeak. I get confused on who it’s coming from some days haha!

Looks like you have a Rouen and either a white layer or a white crested. The poof on the top of their heads is called a crest. You should research about that also. Their bodies are to full to be Runners. They sure are pretty.
Awesome, thank you so much for answer! Definitely helps so I can understand them better :D
I definitely have been looking into their little Afros, reading everything I possibly can.

Back
Top Bottom