Unsure of what this could be….

Great! Is she eating with gusto? Or uninterested?
She’s going back and forth when she’s hungry she’s very hungry- however she is now standing on her own again. Her legs were not working well earlier and she seems to have a bit more strength. Her comb doesn’t look so great. But if it’s the end for her we’re going to make sure it’s the best. And if she bounces back we’ll be even happier.

So we still have our girl that had some heat exhaustion inside- she’s not doing well- but I’m very confused. She’s very thin, and seems very weak: however her stool is normal so I don’t suspect coccidia. Her comb is purple, so I’m thinking heart/circulatory. It can’t be respiratory because her eyes are clear, nostrils are clear. We’ve had issues with this same hen before. Am I missing something? The rest of our flock seems fine besides being hot but have enjoyed the offerings of watermelon, cucumber, and icy cold water every hour and half all day, not to mention the box fan they have fanning their run. Just want to make sure I’m not missing something serious- all we’re maricks vaxed as chicks.
@azygous @Eggcessive @Wyorp Rock

She is about 3-4 years old and has not been laying. I have others that are the same age as her laying regularly. I don’t think she’s actually laid since the last time I brought her in for what I thought was egg binding about 3 months ago.
I'd keep up with the electrolytes. Get her hydrated, then offer a bit of wet feed, maybe a little cool treat for her and her flock.

Not laying eggs for a while, she may be suffering from a reproductive disorder. Sometimes they get droopy, then start to feel better for a while longer. Sometimes a condition is too advanced and they are no longer able to continue.

I'd keep her with her flock if they aren't picking on her. Check to see that her crop is emptying, that she's drinking. Look for lice/mites and get a fecal float to see if she'd benefit from deworming.

She’s going back and forth when she’s hungry she’s very hungry- however she is now standing on her own again. Her legs were not working well earlier and she seems to have a bit more strength. Her comb doesn’t look so great. But if it’s the end for her we’re going to make sure it’s the best. And if she bounces back we’ll be even happier.
That's great news, it may be worth it feeding her eggs every day until she's back to normal. I fed a yolk a day and then checked her crop at night.

Thank you everyone- she passed during the night. She had a very happy chicken life. I will be keeping a closer eye on everyone for a bit. It’s harder than I thought it would be but I did everything I could for her. We’ll bury her today. Thank you again for the help and suggestions.

Thank you everyone- she passed during the night. She had a very happy chicken life. I will be keeping a closer eye on everyone for a bit. It’s harder than I thought it would be but I did everything I could for her. We’ll bury her today. Thank you again for the help and suggestions.
I'm sorry for your loss! I don't recall your mentioning what breed she was but some hybrids only live 3-4 years.

Back
Top Bottom