1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unusual alternate use for a Brinsea Ecoglow Brooder.

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Denninmi, Jan 21, 2011.

1. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    I found an interesting, alternate use for my Brinsea Ecoglow Brooder.

I am now using it to "brood" (in other words, warm) my Virgin Mobile Mifi device (a wireless internet hub), my Pepwave Surf Dongle (a "Dongle" is special hardware that converts the cell phone based signal transmitted by Mifi wireless devices to a regular wireless signal so that regular wireless routers can pick up and transmit the Mifi signal -- think of it as the equivalent of the analog to digital TV converter boxes many folks had to buy a couple of years ago to continue to use older analog TV's when we switched over to all digital broadcasting), and my Hawking Technology router/repeater unit.

I have my wireless hub and the other equipment in my detached garage, which isn't heated, so that I can get a WiFi signal both in my house and out in my greenhouse and workshop, about 300 feet from the house. The garage is about halfway in between, and it is centrally located so that the signal can reach all of the places I might want to use my laptop to go online.

Unfortunately, the operating temperature range of a Mifi device is 14 to 140 degrees Fahrenheit, and it is currently only about 6 degrees here in S.E. Michigan where I live.

I was losing my WiFi signal and internet on particularly cold nights. So, I was trying to think of a way to heat up the equipment without too much effort or energy. I was going to do the light bulb in a cookie/candy tin thing, that a lot of folks do to keep the water buckets from freezing.

Then, I got to thinking (uh, oh!!!), and I thought "Hey, I'm not using my Ecoglow brooder this time of year, why not use it to "brood" my WiFi equipment?"

And, thus, for the duration of the winter, until probably about the end of March, my Ecoglow will be keeping the equipment warm and me online on cold days and nights. The fact that I could post this and you can read it is proof that it works.

Anyone else out there find any alternate uses for incubators or brooders in the off season?

Last edited: Jan 21, 2011
  2. buzymom13

buzymom13 I run the Alien Chicken Asylum

Apr 20, 2010
    [​IMG] Smart!!!

I'm impressed!!! [​IMG]

3. kefiren

kefiren Chillin' With My Peeps

i'm wondering if I can use the top as a warm place for seed-starting pots

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by