Unusual Chicken Screaming (Video attached)

Oct 2, 2020
My almost 20 week old chicken has gone from quietly pecking other chickens every now and then to suddenly being extremely loud and pecked on by every a few previously subordinate members of the flock (nothing serious but she never fights back or stands her ground now, just runs and gets chased around a lot). Every so often she makes the sound like in the video (also whenever i come to their area/leave she makes the sound).

Does anyone know if this is a cause of something more serious? The video cuts off at the end but imagine the same screeches but much louder at the end as well a few times. She has no injuries from others pecking her and i see her eating/drinking enough. They also have more than enough space and one of my chickens has begun to lay eggs (not her though). They are all soon to be egglayers

I have several make that sort of noise, it is definitely a conversational one. They are more insistent if they see the tub I use to fill up their food, and there is also the highly nosey quizzical noises I get from a couple who just appear from under the coop when I have walked aorund it: 'What are you doing, shall I help? I can help!'.

As you say, nothing to sometimes when someone lays an egg, and is then very loud announcing that to the world, and that sets off one of the boys (I always think it is like a first-time panicked father wondering what to do), and then another girl starts just because... ! I do find it cute when one of the boys waits outside the coop for one of his girls, though - protective.

My almost 20 week old chicken has gone from quietly pecking other chickens every now and then to suddenly being extremely loud and pecked on by every a few previously subordinate members of the flock (nothing serious but she never fights back or stands her ground now, just runs and gets chased around a lot). Every so often she makes the sound like in the video (also whenever i come to their area/leave she makes the sound).

Does anyone know if this is a cause of something more serious? The video cuts off at the end but imagine the same screeches but much louder at the end as well a few times. She has no injuries from others pecking her and i see her eating/drinking enough. They also have more than enough space and one of my chickens has begun to lay eggs (not her though). They are all soon to be egglayers
Normal “talking” sounds she’s making ....... when they lay THEN you will here loud & sometimes screaming lol no worries .........all my girls “talk” some more & or louder than others 😊

Back
Top Bottom