Unusual living circumstances? Please advise…

maxfior

In the Brooder
12 Years
Jul 19, 2007
Bowling Green, OHIO
Okay, so here is the chicken break down. I have 33 chickens, mostly Red and Black Stars (hens) of the 33 I have 9 male roosters. 4 are older roosters that I got from my neighbor (I’d say over a year old) and the other 5 are about 30 weeks old. The get along for the most part but will fight sometimes when they get too close to each other. Now… This is where the living situation comes in. I have a VERY large 100+ year old barn that has divided rooms in it, nooks, crannies, etc. The main area is around 2000 square feet, give or take and it wraps around back to another section that is another 1200 SF. During the nice weather I let them range since I have a few acres. But, with the cold weather (I live in N.W. Ohio) I usually keep them inside, even though they have access out side if they want. They seem happy inside, since I’m sure there is more then enough room for them… During the night 20 of the birds will go into a corner room of my barn that is 19x16. I have lots of straw in there and there is one windows that gets the morning sun from the east. There are roost poles 5 feet off the ground and more then enough room for them to perch. They seem to get along fine during the night time. The other 10 birds (9 hens and 1 rooster) like to stay up a little bit later then others and have taken a liking to the (what I like to call it) “hatchery”. I have about 12 nesting boxes setup and there are some roost poles and straw, old junky ATV parts and other things that keep them amused. Other then the rooster mating with the hens from time to time, they get along really well. Here comes my problem. During the day, there are times when the other roosters will pick on the guy with the 9 ladies. Tonight I found his comb to be bloodied. He seems okay and lets me hold him, eats and drinks. The roosters (during the day) will fight here and there, but it usually is not too bad… Until the incident today...
---
So after reading this long post… Do you think it maybe time to get rid of some roosters? I think I have more then enough room for them and they seem to be happy in my barn but I don’t want fighting going on. Especially since some of the younger hens are now finally laying eggs. What do you all think? I can post pictures if need be, but they’ll have to wait until tomorrow since my camera’s flash is worthless in the dark. Any ideas or help would be great. On a side note, I’ll have to post pictures of some of the roosters, since I have no idea what breed they are. Thank you all for taking the time to read this.

Max

Sorry to say but with 24 girls and 9 boys to reach 33 birds... I say you need to get rid of at least 7 of them. They are just going to stress out your girls and their favorites will go bald! I had a roo ratio of 1:5 at one time, and 3 ended up with bald backs within two months! AND they free range as far as they want, although usually stay within eye sight of the coop.

So: Pick the two best men and let them be the rulers.

Quote:
Thank you for the reply. I had a feeling that was the news that I would hear. Even though I really like a few of the gents, they're going to have to go. Looks like I'll be getting rid of some birds. I might have to ask my neighbor... Thank you for the reply.

Max

You could try keeping them seperated, maybe get a few more hens so that you have 10 hens per rooster.
smile.png

Oh boy... I sperated them alittle bit. I was able to toss down some more straw by old junky F350 flatbed... Them seem to like it and have split up a little bit. I wouldn't mind getting more hens, but I have no clue where I could get some now. I'm sure I could raise them again but them they wouldn't be full grown till the end of spring. I'll have to post some pictures for you all to look at. They're quite the "wild bunch".

Max

Here are some pictures. It was still sort of dark in there and my flash was picking up dust in the air, but you'll get the idea of the amount of room I have for chickens...

Max

DSC05137.JPG

---
DSC05138.JPG

---
DSC05139.JPG

---
DSC05141.JPG

---
DSC05142.JPG

---
DSC05143.JPG

---
DSC05144.JPG

---
DSC05145.JPG

---
DSC05147.JPG

---
DSC05148.JPG

---
DSC05149.JPG

---
DSC05150.JPG

---
DSC05151.JPG

---
DSC05152.JPG

---
DSC05153.JPG

---
DSC05154.JPG

---
So... as you can see, they pretty much have the run of my barn....

Back
Top Bottom