1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Unusual silkie chick?

Discussion in 'General breed discussions & FAQ' started by scruggs, May 8, 2009.

1. scruggs

scruggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Oxford, Ga.
    Hi,
    I just had a silkie hatch and a couple of its toes are not totally black. Does this mean it is not 'pure'?

I also had a chick I bought a while back whose beak was not totally black. Is this an indicator or anything?

Thanks!

Last edited: May 8, 2009
  2. blueoval1

blueoval1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 21, 2008
    Raleigh N.C.
    I hatched some chicks with half of their toes black and the other half is not. I am wondering the same thing.

3. StrawberryHouseMouse

StrawberryHouseMouse Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 23, 2009
    Cleveland, Tennessee
    Dont worry about that. Some times it happens. The toes will change with time in most cases. I had a chick with all white feet and legs. Within 2 weeks the legs have changed blue. Its a light blue but its still blue.

4. scruggs

scruggs Out Of The Brooder

Feb 13, 2009
    Oxford, Ga.
    Cool! It is only the tips of the toes anyway...this little thing is so cute...very light grey. Thanks!

5. shelleyd2008

shelleyd2008 the bird is the word

Sep 14, 2008
    Adair Co., KY
    I was going to ask what color they are, since some colors often hatch with light colored skin. I would imagine a lavender (which is what a light grey most likely is) would have that problem, since they are a new color. I have a buff that hatched with yellow skin, and it has changed to dark now. It should darken up over time. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by