Unusual situation help

BlueBaby

Chick hatching addict.
8 Years
Mar 21, 2016
Someplace near Phoenix, Arizona
My next door neighbor has this broody hen that is all alone over there since the other hen has died. She's picked out 2 of my 6 week old chick's that she want's to get from me, but I'm not sure if she should take them yet or not, with that hen being broody. Would it be safe?

Edit: I should also add that the hen that died wasn't from illness. The hen just had gotten her head stuck in a crack (probably chasing a bug) and couldn't get her heat back out again by the look's that thing's were.

My next door neighbor has this broody hen that is all alone over there since the other hen has died. She's picked out 2 of my 6 week old chick's that she want's to get from me, but I'm not sure if she should take them yet or not, with that hen being broody. Would it be safe?
Is her broody hen actively sitting on eggs? If not, and if she doesn't intend to let any hatch, she needs to try to get the hen to snap out of it. Your chicks are far too old to introduce to her to be their mom. As long as the chicks are kept in a separate enclosure within site of the hen for a week or two to allow her to get familiar with them, then she should be fine. After a couple of weeks, place the chicks in the coop at night and when they all wake up they will wake up together. I've done this method twice now with no problems. There will be a 2-3 day period where they make chase and peck at each other but you need to let this happen to establish a pecking order.

Last edited:
Is her broody hen actively sitting on eggs? If not, and if she doesn't intend to let any hatch, she needs to try to get the hen to snap out of it. Your chicks are far too old to introduce to her. As long as the chicks are kept in a separate enclosure, within site of then hen, for a week or two to allow her to get familiar with them, then she should be fine. After a couple of weeks, place the chicks in the coop at night and when they all wake up they will wake up together. I've done this method twice now with no problems. There will be a 2-3 day period where they make chase and peck at each other but you need to let this happen to establish a pecking order.

Yes, I had given the hen 4 of my fertile egg's a couple of day's ago, because she doesn't have a rooster. She is also away on vacation now, so I'm now looking after the hen for her (feeding, watering, etc.).

Yes, I had given the hen 4 of my fertile egg's a couple of day's ago, because she doesn't have a rooster. She is also away on vacation now, so I'm now looking after the hen for her (feeding, watering, etc.).
Chicks will only graft to a mom if they have JUST HATCHED. we tried once with week old chicks and they would have nothing to do with her. Mama hen has to have been sitting for long enough too for her to accept day old chicks.

Back
Top Bottom