Unusual Wonky Egg Laying Issue ..

I don't know what kind of chickens you have, but it makes me wonder about the selective breeding that has brought us the Production Reds. They are touted to be laying machines, and it seems that they really are. I marvel at the sheer volume one hen produces in a week, all out of that little body. No wonder they are always voracious!
It makes me wonder if the high volume layers have shorter lives? Is it taxing to them?

@Jastorm THAT is exactly why we stopped getting the reds! I've lost 2 out of 8 to reproductive disorders. One we had to cull because she was so sick. It's heartbreaking to watch & I just couldn't do it anymore. I'd rather have less eggs & a healthy bird, I will never buy them again.

@chickenluvin I'm sorry your girl is going through this. I assume you are right that there is probably not much you can do, but the calcium can't hurt if you want to give it a try. If nothing else it helps them have contractions so they have an easier time passing it. Just keep a good eye on her & make sure she still eats, drinks & chickens. The first one I lost to a reproductive issue was a bit different, but by the time we realized how sick she was she was so skinny I felt horrible for not noticing it sooner. But chickens are so good at hiding they're sick & it was my first batch of birds so I just didn't know. Good luck. :hugs

Back
Top Bottom