Unwanted plants growing in run

Matthew2011

In the Brooder
Jun 12, 2019
I have 2 new warren hens 19 weeks old I have noticed last years daffodils growing are they safe for the hens to eat or dig them all up

I have 2 new warren hens 19 weeks old I have noticed last years daffodils growing are they safe for the hens to eat or dig them all up
  1. An incomplete list of plants that are poisonous to chickens includes daffodils, foxglove, morning glory, yew, jimson weed, tulips
    Tulip
    Tulips form a genus of spring-blooming perennial herbaceous bulbiferous geophytes. The flowers are usually large, showy and brightly colored, generally red, pink, yellow, or white. They often have a different colored blotch at the base of the tepals, internally. Because of a degree of variability within the populati…
    en.wikipedia.org
    , lily of the valley, azaleas, rhododendron, mountain laurel, monkshood
    Aconitum
    th

Aconitum, also known as aconite, monkshood, wolf's-bane, leopard's bane, mousebane, women's bane, devil's helmet, queen of poisons, or blue rocket, is a genus of over 250 species of flowering plants belonging to the family Ranunculaceae. These herbaceous perennial plants are chiefly native to th…
    en.wikipedia.org
    , amaryllis
    Amaryllis
    Amaryllis is the only genus in the subtribe Amaryllidinae. It is a small genus of flowering bulbs, with two species. The better known of the two, Amaryllis belladonna, is a native of the Western Cape region of South Africa, particularly the rocky southwest area between the Olifants River Valley and Knysna. …
    en.wikipedia.org
    , castor bean
    Ricinus
    Ricinus communis, the castor bean or castor oil plant, is a species of perennial flowering plant in the spurge family, Euphorbiaceae. It is the sole species in the monotypic genus, Ricinus, and subtribe, Ricininae. The evolution of castor and its relation to other species are currently being studied using modern genetic too…
    en.wikipedia.org
    , trumpet vine, nightshade, nicotiana
    Nicotiana
    Nicotiana is a genus of herbaceous plants and shrubs of the family Solanaceae, that is indigenous to the Americas, Australia, south west Africa and the South Pacific. Various Nicotiana species, commonly referred to as tobacco plants, are cultivated as ornamental garden plants. N. tabacum is grown worldwide for pr…
    en.wikipedia.org
    , and tansy.

1. An incomplete list of plants that are poisonous to chickens includes daffodils, foxglove, morning glory, yew, jimson weed, tulips

Ok, that's fair to post- but don't go scaring the OP. It's not like chickens go hunting for daffodils to eat and then die. Mine free range around daffodils all day long with zero issues. They have absolutely no interest in them- all 30 of my chickens.

Ok, that's fair to post- but don't go scaring the OP. It's not like chickens go hunting for daffodils to eat and then die. Mine free range around daffodils all day long with zero issues. They have absolutely no interest in them- all 30 of my chickens.
Yes I've seen several posts that talk about how chickens seem to know what plants are poisonous and tend to avoid them. That's a good point.

Back
Top Bottom