Unwelcome Hen in Nest Box

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by CoopintheWoods, Dec 30, 2016.

1. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    Of my flock of 14 pullets, only on has started laying. We have thus far installed 2 of the 5 nest boxes. If a pullet who is not laying yet were to just hang out in the nest box, would the laying hen attack her? One of my non-laying pullets loves to sit around in the boxes (I chase her out when I can), and has just showed up with an injury. Could the one laying hen have gone after her? Both are about 5 months old, and are about the same size.

2. redsoxs

redsoxs Chicken Obsessed

Jul 17, 2011
    North Central Kansas
    I've never had it happen when a hen who was laying attacks another hen. Mine sometimes shack two or three at a time and share a box. I've got a couple of crotchety old hens that are grouches to everyone. At most they give the interloper a warning peck but not enough to cause injury. But with broody hens it can be different. They get very contrary to who or whatever comes near the nest. But as a young pullet I wouldn't not think your one that is laying is broody. I would suspect the injury occurred under other circumstances.

1 person likes this.
  3. bobbi-j

bobbi-j Chicken Obsessed

Mar 15, 2010
    On the MN prairie.
    Can you describe or post a picture of the injury?

4. CoopintheWoods

CoopintheWoods Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 27, 2016
    It's a bloody spot about the size of a dime that is missing feathers. It turned out it was not a nest box issue, but that one of the meaner hens was picking on her. I'm working to solve the issue.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by