Unwell hen

Chuckleberry

In the Brooder
7 Years
Sep 27, 2012
Salisbury, Wiltshire, UK
My Coop
My Coop
One of my hens has become unwell. She is keeping her eyes closed for much of the day and sits hunched up without moving much (except when I try to pick her up, when she scuttles out of my reach) with her head tucked into her back. I cannot hear any irregularity in her breathing, and she is eating and drinking, but this is now her third day of being under the weather. All the rest of my flock seem okay. Does anybody have any advice/experience that they could share with me please?

One of my hens has become unwell. She is keeping her eyes closed for much of the day and sits hunched up without moving much (except when I try to pick her up, when she scuttles out of my reach) with her head tucked into her back. I cannot hear any irregularity in her breathing, and she is eating and drinking, but this is now her third day of being under the weather. All the rest of my flock seem okay. Does anybody have any advice/experience that they could share with me please?

Hi, and sorry she's under the weather ... first thing you should do is too painfully simple for some to believe, and that's the addition of Apple Cider Vinegar to their water (but not in galvanized containers), at the rate of four teaspoons to each gallon (check the Solutions Used for Poultry link in my signature to verify, or review my multiple posts w/ research supporting my suggestions ~'-)

Most importantly, there's simply no way this will hurt a single feather w/in your flock.

First purpose is that it may very possibly cure her, or aid in her improvement. Second, is that it may protect others w/in the flock that aren't yet showing symptoms, and better prep 'em all for the potential of future treatment w/ medication(s).

The tannin in Apple Cider Vinegar helps to 'cut through' the mucus and coatings w/in the mouth, throat and intestines, so as to help them to more easily expel any accumulations and toxins which often result from botulism/algae/etc., and improves the uptake of nutrients/vitamins, and further boost their immune systems.

I've seen that specific posture followed by a short list of possible causes, but can't figure out which of my links has it. But, reading over the Diagnosing Diseases Based Upon Symptoms link might help you figure this out, and would certainly improve your chances of spotting additional symptoms that might otherwise be overlooked.

Back
Top Bottom