Unwell Rooster

Our rooster, who is just a little over a year old, has been showing signs of illness. He is lethargic, losing weight, his feathers are dull and broken particularly around his neck and saddle even though he should be well over his molt by now. He also gets pale when he sleeps during the day, though the color does come back when he becomes active again. We’ve seen him gape/gasp and his voice changes: Sometimes he sounds normal and sometimes he sounds like he has something stuck in his throat when he clucks and crows.

This has been going on for a few weeks now with no drastic change and no improvement. We have checked for parasites and see no sign of them in him or any of the other chickens (we have 9 hens as well). His crop is not hard and impacted. He doesn’t feel feverish.

Any ideas on what might be wrong and how we can helps him? TIA!

He eats the same feed my layers are on: a highly recommended local layer mix that I add Grubblies Fresh Pecks Pellets too, along with being free range in a pretty large pen, and vegetable and fruit scraps.
It is 17% protein. Since my rooster lives with my hands he eats what they eat. We do supplement with that Grubblies feed which is higher protein because it includes insects
Grubblies pellets looks like a mixed type feed- it has pellets then loose grains correct?
Try soaking it or fermenting it. He may be picking out the grains and not eating the pellets. Looks like it's 16% protein.
What is the "highly recommended layer mix" - a photo of the bag/tag analysis would be good.

His feathers are rough looking because the hens are plucking at him, they are nipping the tips off his feathers. Probably eating them - could just be a bad habit, could be nutritional deficiency.

I'd consider feeding an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein, severely limit scratch - yep, I know the kids want to scatter something for the chicken, give just a little bit every few days - they forage and free range and get veggies too, so cut down on that stuff and focus on them eating the normal feed and see if he starts acting better.

There's nothing you can do about those feathers = he will have to go through a molt.

And check his crop - make sure it's emptying overnight.

It is 17% protein. Since my rooster lives with my hens he eats what they eat. We do supplement with that Grubblies feed which is higher protein because it includes insects, as well as my kids feed them worms and bugs as they find and catch them, and they find their own in their field throughout the day.

That’s interesting about the diatomaceous earth. Do you have a wormer you recommend? Thanks!
17% protein isn't high enough plus the excess amounts of calcium in each pellet or crumble will erode a rooster's health and wellbeing.

I use 22% protein crumbles and 16% layer pellet feed in individual plastic Folger containers next to each other. My roosters know the difference and never touch the layer feed. Most of my hens will know to eat the 22% when there getting ready to molt.

Grubblies pellets looks like a mixed type feed- it has pellets then loose grains correct?
Try soaking it or fermenting it. He may be picking out the grains and not eating the pellets. Looks like it's 16% protein.
What is the "highly recommended layer mix" - a photo of the bag/tag analysis would be good.

His feathers are rough looking because the hens are plucking at him, they are nipping the tips off his feathers. Probably eating them - could just be a bad habit, could be nutritional deficiency.

I'd consider feeding an all flock feed that is 18-20% protein, severely limit scratch - yep, I know the kids want to scatter something for the chicken, give just a little bit every few days - they forage and free range and get veggies too, so cut down on that stuff and focus on them eating the normal feed and see if he starts acting better.

There's nothing you can do about those feathers = he will have to go through a molt.

And check his crop - make sure it's emptying overnight.
Great info, thank you! This is the main feed I use and mix with the Grubblies: https://kaniksufeeds.com/feed/mega-layer-mash/

Do you have a feed you recommend? I wanted to use something local due to the questions/concerns about some of the big name feed (like purina), but maybe it isn’t the best choice for my flock.

I really appreciate your help!

Great info, thank you! This is the main feed I use and mix with the Grubblies: https://kaniksufeeds.com/feed/mega-layer-mash/

Do you have a feed you recommend? I wanted to use something local due to the questions/concerns about some of the big name feed (like purina), but maybe it isn’t the best choice for my flock.

I really appreciate your help!
If you have a local mill that's who I would use. Ask them if they have a different mix that is higher protein and in a crumble. A lot of folks that feed a loose type feed like you're using soak or ferment it, this seems to work out since the vitamin mix adheres to the feed when wet.

As for other "brands" it all depends on where you live. I used to use Purina All Flock/Flock Raiser, but TSC was either out of stock a lot of times or the feed was old or the price just kept creeping up or maybe I'm just a bit tired of TSC...:)
Now I use the small local feed store here, so I usually get Tucker Milling Flock 22 or Home Fresh (New Country) Multi-Flock.
If they don't have that, then I'll get chick starter.

Back
Top Bottom