Unwell Rooster

Holly_HN

In the Brooder
Aug 17, 2023
Our rooster, who is just a little over a year old, has been showing signs of illness. He is lethargic, losing weight, his feathers are dull and broken particularly around his neck and saddle even though he should be well over his molt by now. He also gets pale when he sleeps during the day, though the color does come back when he becomes active again. We’ve seen him gape/gasp and his voice changes: Sometimes he sounds normal and sometimes he sounds like he has something stuck in his throat when he clucks and crows.

This has been going on for a few weeks now with no drastic change and no improvement. We have checked for parasites and see no sign of them in him or any of the other chickens (we have 9 hens as well). His crop is not hard and impacted. He doesn’t feel feverish.

Any ideas on what might be wrong and how we can helps him? TIA!

What's his diet? Is he molting? Have you ever wormed him?
What's his diet? Is he molting? Have you ever wormed him?
He started molting about 3 months ago so he should be done by now. His feathers look weird too, like the vane (I had to look that up to know the right name for the part!) is missing large chunks but he still has the rachis.
He eats the same feed my layers are on: a highly recommended local layer mix that I add Grubblies Fresh Pecks Pellets too, along with being free range in a pretty large pen, and vegetable and fruit scraps.
I haven’t wormed them recently but wormed them about four months ago using diatomaceous earth.

I have attached a couple pics of him so it can show his feathers.

Attachments

• IMG_5173.jpeg
    IMG_5173.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 10
  • IMG_5170.jpeg
    IMG_5170.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 10
He started molting about 3 months ago so he should be done by now. His feathers look weird too, like the vane (I had to look that up to know the right name for the part!) is missing large chunks but he still has the rachis.
He eats the same feed my layers are on: a highly recommended local layer mix that I add Grubblies Fresh Pecks Pellets too, along with being free range in a pretty large pen, and vegetable and fruit scraps.
I haven’t wormed them recently but wormed them about four months ago using diatomaceous earth.
What protein is the layer? Roosters and non laying birds really shouldn't have layer, it has too much calcium.
D.e doesn't work as a wormer, it doesn't do anything in damp or wet environments, which that's what the inside of animals are.
It could be depluming mites or diet.

I have attached a couple pics of him so it can show his feathers.
Ack! Poor little guy!Please take him to a vet ASAP! :hit

Roosters shouldn't eat layer feed and during molt for either sex, they should be on high protein feed.
He lives with my hens, how can I feed him something different? Also, I thought layer feed was relatively high-protein. Ours is 17% which is mid range for chicken food as I understand it.

What protein is the layer? Roosters and non laying birds really shouldn't have layer, it has too much calcium.
D.e doesn't work as a wormer, it doesn't do anything in damp or wet environments, which that's what the inside of animals are.
It could be depluming mites or diet.
It is 17% protein. Since my rooster lives with my hens he eats what they eat. We do supplement with that Grubblies feed which is higher protein because it includes insects, as well as my kids feed them worms and bugs as they find and catch them, and they find their own in their field throughout the day.

That’s interesting about the diatomaceous earth. Do you have a wormer you recommend? Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom