LauraElizabeth

Hatching
Mar 4, 2024
Our boy whom we only recently got has been “sick” for the past 5 days…only three short days after bringing him home. I’m scared he’s not going to make it and I need him to 🥺
He started sounding like a snoring man on the third day with our girls (he is a 9
months-1year old Roo). My husband and I noticed his crowing wasn’t as “developed sounding” when we brought him home and I just thought he would grow into it but now I wonder if he could have been sick from the gecko??
He started with pasty butt and slowly he progressively got louder and more “sick” sounding. It seems to be having trouble breathing, as he opens his beak wherever he’s taking a breathe. We’ve been following instructions from his original owner and giving him scrambled eggs with garlic and oregano and apple cider in his water as well as soaking him in epsome salt the first night he started quarantine..that was Thursday and it is now Monday and he shows no signs of improvement. We do take him to the yard and let him get A little sunshine. He sounds rough, is there anything I can do to help my boy feel better? Also I should mention his chest feels super sharp like a v for his breast.

Welcome to BYC.
If he ate a gecko, that isnt a problem. Stop the scrambled eggs with garlic, oregano and apple cider vinegar. It wont do anything. Feed him "crack" or regular feed.
Ensure his rear end/vent area is feces free.
You need to look inside his mouth/throat for any obstructions. Also look for any type of lesions; yellow or necrotic looking lesions, also yeast infection ie; very small white patches or splotches inside the mouth. Also saliva or mucus at the back of his throat.
Pull his wattles straight down and his mouth will open, use a flashlight if necessary and let us know what you see.

The immature crow could just be his age, they sound immature for a while.
It sounds like he has a compromised immune system and possibly dehydration that is enabling a respiratory infection to develop. If this were my rooster, I would give him 1/2 cc of moxy-forte (amoxycillin + clindamycin) or a few grams of powdered lincomycin-spectinomycin for 5 days, electrolytes, probiotics, and corid powder in his water.

Definitely keep him isolated if he is a new addition because if it’s something contagious you don’t want your other birds to catch it. For respiratory issues you want to keep him warm.

ACV diluted in water can help shift mucous build up but I’m not sure it’s good for vent gleet/yeast infection and if he has lesions in his mouth it would probably burn, so I agree to bring back to basics until you get a better sense of what’s going on.

Is he eating okay and does his crop empty overnight? Asides from a messy butt does his poop look normal?

Back
Top Bottom