Weak rooster with wry neck and respiratory issue

Tanya22

Songster
5 Years
Oct 23, 2018
India
Hey everyone! My rooster developed a wry neck and had some respiratory issues before. I decided to treat with a 5 day course of tetracycline and also multivitamin drops + half capsule of vitamin e daily.
His antibiotics course ended yesterday but there's no improvement. He keeps sleeping and his head is constantly drooping. He has also become very weak and stumbles.. he eats and drinks only when i offer it to him. His breathing isnt heavy exactly (though I can hear him breath heavy sometimes), but he has slight popping sounds coming from his neck at times and difficulty while eating.. though he is happy to eat when I offer. But I can tell that his breathing system isnt right and needs help. There's not vets around who can do anything for him.
Please tell me what should I do? I'm continuing the vitamins course for 5-10 more days since his body is weak. Is there any other antibiotic course I should do for him or anything else? (culling isnt an option, he is a family member)

Double the dose of the vitamin E and give it with egg to help him absorb it better. If no improvement, increase the E to twice a day.

If he's weak, his glucose may be low. Give him a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar dissolved in it to drink. If it's extremely hot, add a pinch of salt and baking soda to the solution.

Since the antibiotic did no good, it probably shouldn't be continued.

Double the dose of the vitamin E and give it with egg to help him absorb it better. If no improvement, increase the E to twice a day.

If he's weak, his glucose may be low. Give him a cup of water with one teaspoon sugar dissolved in it to drink. If it's extremely hot, add a pinch of salt and baking soda to the solution.

Since the antibiotic did no good, it probably shouldn't be continued.
I'll do that. I've started giving him fresh coconut water since two days as well to help with the weakness. Im also daily giving him sunflower seeds and almonds for an extra vitamin e boost

The antibiotic course has already ended. What im worried about is that his breathing issue hasnt resolved and now he still has those popping sounds coming..

It's not pleasant to consider, but he may have tumors that are causing his problems. If in spite of all you've done, he doesn't get any better, tumors could be the reason.

It's not pleasant to consider, but he may have tumors that are causing his problems. If in spite of all you've done, he doesn't get any better, tumors could be the reason.
Oh i see.. is there anyway to check? Like an xray or something?

No. Only two ways to diagnose cancer tumors. One is by treating the symptoms to see if they will improve. If they don't, then you would assume cancer. Then, when the chicken dies, opening up the chicken will tell you for sure it's cancer if you see hundreds of chick pea size tumors on the organs. This is the way I do it.

Back
Top Bottom