rooster with wry neck

venovee

Chirping
Jun 19, 2022
Wake County, NC
hi everyone!

i have a year old cochin bantam rooster who appears to have wry neck. i brought him home yesterday after noticing that his comb was an ashen purple and very cold, and that his neck was crooked. after warming him up using a heat lamp, his comb returned to it’s normal red color, but his neck is still crooked.

i’m treating him with poultry booster in his food, poultry cell in his water, and feeding him scrambled egg as well. he’s still eating and drinking properly without assistance. he’s only made one tiny, dry poop so i gave him a couple drops of nutri-drench too (since it has molasses and i’ve read that acts as a laxative for chickens).

i just want to make sure that i’m treating him properly to correct his wry neck and possible constipation. i also wanted to make sure i’m correct in my understanding that he needs to stay separate from the rest of his flock until the wry neck resolves.

here’s a picture of him for reference and in case that helps with anything!

Attachments

• IMG_6224.jpeg
    IMG_6224.jpeg
    586.6 KB · Views: 45
he’s only made one tiny, dry poop so i gave him a couple drops of nutri-drench too (since it has molasses and i’ve read that acts as a laxative for chickens).
That would be more akin to dehydration than constipation. Lack of water not lack of movement and exit.

Nutri drench does NOT have a laxative effect due to the minute amount of molasses in it.. otherwise it would be more detrimental than beneficial treating things like shipped chicks or otherwise ailing birds.

i also wanted to make sure i’m correct in my understanding that he needs to stay separate from the rest of his flock until the wry neck resolves.
If he isn't being picked on.. with his flock is better. If he is being picked on then or kept from feed then in the kennel within sight of his flock is still a good choice.. IF he's able to maintain body temp still.

What is his regular feed routine including treats prior to the supplements that would have or could have lead to the wry neck condition? Did he experience an injury like fighting off a predator, another rooster, etc.. or what has lead up to this point?

For treating the wry neck, I have seen many on this site say to treat with Vit E and Vit B - straight from the bottle - 400 mg of vit E and 1/3-1/2 tablet of vit B complex. Just open his beak by gently pulling on his wattles and pop the pills in and let him swallow - 1 at a time works best.

For the constipation, freeze some coconut oil. When it is solid, pops some pieces in his beak and let him swallow. I think it is around 1 tsp daily, broken into a couple of feedings - some one will correct me if I am wrong on the dosage - but it is safe.

The vitamin therapy above can help within days, or it may take several weeks.

Did you check for injuries on and around his neck?

That would be more akin to dehydration than constipation. Lack of water not lack of movement and exit.

Nutri drench does NOT have a laxative effect due to the minute amount of molasses in it.. otherwise it would be more detrimental than beneficial treating things like shipped chicks or otherwise ailing birds.

If he isn't being picked on.. with his flock is better. If he is being picked on then or kept from feed then in the kennel within sight of his flock is still a good choice.. IF he's able to maintain body temp still.

What is his regular feed routine including treats prior to the supplements that would have or could have lead to the wry neck condition?

1.) okay that makes sense, thank you. i’ll make sure he’s drinking plenty.
2.) i haven’t noticed him being picked on and he doesn’t have any visible injuries, so i will try to return him to his flock tomorrow.
3.) his current diet is dumor 16% layer crumble. all of my roosters have eaten this food before and i’ve never had any problems with it. he gets treats very occasionally (a handful of scratch or veggies maybe every other month, if that).

Did he experience an injury like fighting off a predator, another rooster, etc.. or what has lead up to this point?

Did you check for injuries on and around his neck?

i checked for injuries and can’t find anything obvious. there’s no signs of a physical altercation between him and the other rooster he lives with, and he’s not free range so a predator is highly unlikely. his neck near the base of his skull feels a little hot, and definitely stiff, but i don’t notice any fractures in it. when i set him back down after picking him up he lists to the side for a second before righting himself.

thank you both for the advice!

Back
Top Bottom