up and down Hen

BARobbins

In the Brooder
Mar 14, 2024
Hello to you all!
Newb to the site and looking for advice as I am 12mos into my new life :)
we have a little happy flock of 5 mixed breeds. One of my Americana hens (the sweetest of course) has been a bit off the last week. she would be quite sedentary at times not run up for snacks etc. then she layed and was back 90% then by Monday she was hiding under the hut and not eating or coming out. when I got home I went and retrieved her (noting she had a watery yellow discharge) I put her in a Epsom soak massaged her underside to her duct felt nothing hard inspected her duct checked for obstructions looked very clean and no sign of any critters. Her crop was basically empty. Kept her inside with a hay bed mash food and electrolyte/silver in her water. only thing I could get her to eat was string cheese. Next AM she was doing better saw she had drank and got her going with a lil bit of string cheese and daily yogurt. wife watcher was more perky and ate well and pooped more solid. we returned her and she seems to be doing all her chicken things peck scratch assumed her order etc. I just worry maybe parasite or something? Eyes clear, no wheezing, no more pecking order shenanigans than normal.
Thanks for taking the time to read and any advice for this chicken Dad.

12mos this week, pellet feed always available, give them a small high end natural feed in the AM w/yogurt and cayenne. then the occasional scratch or BSFL, black sunflower, crushed nuts for treats.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom