UPDATE: 3 week chick has feet curling in.PLEASE ADVISE!

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by California Ducken, May 18, 2009.

1. California Ducken

California Ducken Chillin' With My Peeps

I have a 3 week old banty chick that is siting most of the time. He can get up and run around, then drops to sitting. When he stands his feet start to arch up like he is standing on his tip toes. When he gets up to walk his feet curl in, but he continues to walk.
    He is on medicated chick starter. He has rooster booster (vitamins and electrolytes ) in his water. He seems to be in a good healthy condition. eats and drinks normally.
    Over the last 5 days is had progressively gotten worse.
    What is going on?

A deficiency in??????? what?????

PLEASE ADVISE

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  2. California Ducken

I will post a photo as soon as I can.

3. California Ducken

Anyone?

4. Mrs.Puff

Mrs.Puff Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 16, 2008
    Southern Iowa
    Sounds like rickets, but you're giving him good feed and such. I would just cull that one. Too bad, but sometimes they just don't come out right. I lost one purty little roo to leg problems a few weeks ago. [​IMG]

5. Glenda L Heywood

Glenda L Heywood Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 11, 2009
    well you need to use some of DCTownsends chick feet helpers

ORTHOPEDICS FOR POULTRY MADE EASY FOR BEGINNERS
    By D.C. Townsend

These treatments have been tested and proven effective. I developed them for peafowl but they
    may be used for any poultry. The key to success is to begin treatment promptly. In some cases delay
    will kill or cripple the chick.

CHICK SHOE
    Not Actual Size
    HALF SHOE
    Not Actual Size
    In the 1995 hatch, I had a number of peachicks with a kink in the outer toe of one or both feet.
    They were well past a week old when I decided that I must do something about it. I made HALF SHOES of black pipe cleaner. I tore off a quarter inch-wide stripe of duck tape several inches long and secured
    the HALF SHOE to the middle and the outer toe. Several days of treatment were needed. Some of the
    HALF SHOES came off and had to be taped on again, but all treated peachicks had straight toes at the
    end of the treatment. There is a young peacock that I missed treating. Now it is too late and he will
    always have a kink in his outer toe

HOBBLE BRACE
    ACHILLES TENDON OUT OF THE GROOVE
    When the Achilles tendon slips out of the groove on the hock joint, a peachick will not be able to
    straighten its leg. The problem needs prompt attention because the struggling peachick will put
    its weight on the hock joint which will damage the skin and cause swelling in the joint. The tendon
    can be pushed back in place with just one finger or a very gentle squeeze between the thumb and index
    finger. Sometimes just one treatment will give a complete cure that seems like a miracle. Other
    times several treatments are needed. Stubborn cases require advanced treatment that is too difficult to
    explain here. I treated both legs of a peachick for two weeks; She grew up to be a healthy peahen.

STRADDLE LEGS
    This problem can occur even if you take the precaution of having quarter inch hardware cloth
    under your peachicks. Sometimes it is caused by the struggles of a chick with its toes rolled into
    fists. In that case, both problems must be treated at the same time. I cut a piece of tape four or
    five inches long and from the HOBBLE BRACE with the legs far enough apart so that the peachick can walk. The tape must go the whole way around and cover its sticky side so that it does not stick to the
    peachick's fuzz when it sits down. Usually 24 hours of treatment is sufficient, but sometimes more is
    required. CHICK SHOES and the HOBBLE BRACE can be used at the same time.

email me PM if you have more questions

6. California Ducken

Ok update. I put electrolytes and vitamins in water (aka rooster booster), and fed him exact thick wet baby bird food for the last few days and wala feet are doing better. It was a deficiency in certain vitamins.
    Thanks to all who advised me on this. I love this place!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Last edited: May 20, 2009
  7. chickabator

chickabator Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 30, 2007
    ky
    give him some poly vi sol it works wonders also you can cook chicken liver and crumble it up real small and feed it to him it could be needing b12

8. California Ducken

Thanks chickabator! It's doing the baby roo a world of good. He is perking up quickly. Thank You!!!

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by