UPDATE........Anybody else willing to help? PLEASE! Chicken appears dizzy and falling over

LOLchick

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 1, 2013
California
My 12/13 week old BO pullet started to look as she was stumbling once in a while about 5 days ago. 3 days ago it started to look like she is losing her balance. Sometimes she falls over while walking but then gets back up again and sometimes she manage to keep her balance by flapping her wings. She also shakes her little head as if she is trying to clear it up or get some clarity. She still eats and drinks okay. I don't see any poop problems. I started giving her St Johns wort 3 days ago because I thought it might be Mareck's. Any help, ideas, advise would be great. These are my first chickens and my heart breaks to see her in such a state.

Last edited:
Hi. Without knowing much about your chickens, if it's Marek's I would think you would see at least another one start stumbling. I would probably start vitamins, esp B vits. Did you get all the chicks from the same place, like a hatchery?

I have 4 chickens. 2 are 12 weeks and two are about 7 weeks. The 2 groups are seperate. Got all of them at around 1-2 weeks old. From 2 different places. The older two was from tractor supply. The younger ones from a different feed store. The others are all doing okay. Daisy,(sick one) even though she keeps falling over still walks around and sometimes even manage to chase the little ones. I let them free range in the afternoons and the little ones normally keeps a safe distance. She does not seem to want to sit or lie down. When she does, it is painful to watch her trying to get up. Maybe that is why she is preferring not to do it. This afternoon she was lying down on her side with her legs stretched out to the side. I thought for sure that was the end of her and went to say my goodbye's. 20 minutes later she got up and hobbled onward. She still seems happy to see us, peck around in the garden and eat okay. Her poop is small and very soft. Yellow green color. Thanks for trying to help

If you could post some pictures of her it would be very helpful. Also, as Seminolewing said, the B vitamins could help. I would take 1/2 of a Super B Complex heman vitamin, crush it and add it to a gallon of water and make this the only water they have. If this is a vitamin deficiency, this will help her. a vitamin E casule 400iu, squeezed onto their feed couldn't hurt either. Sometimes it's a vitamin issue and it's better to try this before moving on. If it is something else, you'll soon know, as they have all been exposed. I am assuming that none of them were vaccinated for Marek's?

Are her poops this color all the time? Could she possibly have cocci? What have you been feeding them? Seriously, more info is needed to make a better guess as to what this could be.

Thank you for trying to help us. No, none of them was vaccinated. Because they were about a week old by the time I got them, I thought it was to late. I feed them medicated chicken starter feed. They also get sunflower seeds, shelled, cucumber and corn of the cob. Some apple and radishes, peas once in a while. Dried mealworms. I now never see her drink water. She peck around the garden at stuff, grass etc. How much of that she is eating I'm not sure. The only food she is now interested in is the frozen corn that I give her. I defrost it in boiling water and when I give it to her I try to have it very wet so she at least get some fluid. She still walks around and sometimes even runs but loses her balance more of today. She is not lethargic.
They have an enclosed run with just soil. I tried dried leaves and pine shavings in the run but it seemed messy to me so I went back to just plain soil. I am considering sand but that is for another day. One issue at a time. Now that I have just the soil I clean the poop out every day or every other day. When I had the leaves and the pine shavings I was going to try the deep litter method but it grossed me out so I ended cleaning it every week. The coop part is dry and they only sleep there at night so I clean visible poop up about 3 times a week and add fresh shavings weekly. The enclosed run has wire mesh and enclosed on three sides towards the back, under the coop part. Coop is lifted off the ground with a wire msh window for ventilaion. The coop door is open during the day for extra ventilation. They have been in this coop about 4-5 weeks. Prior to that they were inside the house in a large wire crate/dog kennel. I took them outside every day since about 4 weeks in a small run on the grass for a few hours.
I'll start with the vitamins you suggested. Again thanks for your help. My heart is so sore for my sweet sweet Daisy.

Trying to keep her balance.

Corn in some water I mixed with chicken vitamins from the feed store

My advice is to give her wet mash, and any food her little heart desires. Make her gourmet meals. You will both feel better doing this.
If she's not eating , treat her for cocci. If she's eating (check her crop), try antibiotics. I don't think there's anything more you can do except hope she pulls thru.

Thank you. Yes, all she wants to eat is corn she she gets plenty of that. What antibiotic should I give and where/how do I get it. Thanks for the help.

Thank you. Yes, all she wants to eat is corn she she gets plenty of that. What antibiotic should I give and where/how do I get it. Thanks for the help.

Back
Top Bottom