UPDATE! Difficult to diagnose-sick hen??

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by Farm Chic, May 15, 2011.

1. Farm Chic

Farm Chic Out Of The Brooder

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    Read page after page, still not sure what it could be. If it were worms, wouldn't I see same symptoms in other birds?

1) Silver Laced Wyandotte, be 3 in Aug. and around 5 lbs.

2) Very lethargic, isolates herself, tail feathers down, doesn't show interest in treats, won't roost, sleeps on the floor in the corner.

3) Has been showing symptoms for 3 days.

4) She is the only bird showing symptoms.

5) No bleeding, no sign of injury. However, her head would twitch/shake slightly when she was laying down. Also noticed other birds would come over, searching around her body for something but never pecked her.

6) Don't know of anything that could have caused this to happen.

7) Has been eating layer feed and food scraps like spinach/lettuce, tomatoes, scratch, earthworms and other worms from the garden.

8) Poop seems to be normal all around. Haven't seen her poo but looking at all poo around coop and run, all is normal.

9) No treatment so far. Day 1, hubby noticed something off. I checked on her, she seemed quite normal to me, still had a red comb and face. It was an 80 degree day, had plenty of cold water and feed. Day 2, hubby noticed she was lethargic and not running about with the others. Another 80 degree day, plenty of fresh water and feed and she seemed like a normal bird to me, still red comb and face. Day 3, rainy and cold 50 degrees. Fresh water and hubby went out to check on her, she was under a shade structure in the pooring rain. He put her inside coop, said she wasn't doing so well. Lost her color and she was very lethargic. Tried giving her yogurt, no luck.

10 ) There is not a vet around here that will treat chickens. Will do what we can to help her.

11) Will post pics.

12) Coop is 6x8, has a dry floor (not dirt) with pine shavings for bedding. Coop is very dry. The run is half grass half dirt.

I've checked for lice and mites, nothing. I haven't inspected any poo up close and personal I mean for worms but will do that. But, if it could be worms, wouldn't my other birds show signs too? Checked her crop, feels fine. Her abdomen feels normal no hard lump. She does seem to be under weight compared to the others but not to the point of malnutrition or starvation. Not sure if she has been laying eggs as I have 14 hens. I can't seem to pinpoint or narrow down what could be the problem after reading so many posts. Maybe by looking at the pics someone could narrow it better than I can.

Last edited: May 16, 2011
  2. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    [​IMG]
    This is when I noticed her head twitching. She nestles down and looks like shes ready for a nap.

[​IMG]
    Close up of her face. She was really red just the other day, like the other hens are. Color is fading.

[​IMG]
    This is what she looks like and has for 3 days. No limping, no off balance steps, no running either.

[​IMG]
    Here is a picture of the other wyandottte that we have. Some may notice that the combs are not the same. Has been that way since they arrived as little chicks. In fact, hubby and I are pretty sure that the genetics of all of our birds are a little messed up. But thats for another topic post.

Will get more photos if needed, just let me know what to take!

Thank you for any advice or help!!!

3. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    ok, just walked around and checked all poop droppings for worms, nothing! If my bird had worms, would it be too soon to see worms? I also sat in the coop for about 40 minutes waiting for her to poo, she didn't. She scratched at the floor and pecked at stuff on the floor but never went to the feeder. Is this normal? Like I said, haven't changed the feed, been the same since they started laying eggs. Is the droopy tail a sign of illness/disease?

4. flowerhippie

flowerhippie Out Of The Brooder

May 13, 2011
    I hope your gal begins to feel better, I was just saying on another post that. When some farm folks go to the feed store they wear there barn yard shoes. I cant stress enough for everyone to change there shoes. If one farm has bad hygiene and all around bad husbandry. We are caring illness home to our flocks. Illness in our flock really begins with awareness. CHANGE YOUR SHOES BEFORE GOING TO THE FEED STORE . This is the only preventive measure to keep a healthy flock. I hope you keep her going she looks strong and healthy.

5. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    yes, thanks for that tip flowerhippie.

She is still the same as yesterday, no worse thank goodness! She can't seem to jump up to the roost or nest boxes. I usually leave the people door open as well as the chicken door but with all of the rain yesterday, I kept it close. This may explain why she was found out in the pooring rain when my hubby found her (she can't jump up to get out the chicken door). I am leaving the people door open, hoping she'll venture out. She can walk just fine, at least from what I can see and what little walking she does do.

Haven't noticed any breathing issues, coughing or sneezing in any of my chickens. If she is egg bound, wouldn't I feel the egg inside? Or see something coming out from her vent?

6. tammye

tammye Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 22, 2010
    NH
    could she be egg bound? try giving her a warm bath, can't hurt, they usually like it anyway and if she is egg bound the warm water will help relax her muscles to help move the egg. I would give her some electrolyte solution in her water for added strenght and nutrients

7. 1livelychick

1livelychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 22, 2010
    Sorry your girl is not feeling well. SHe's beautiful! I'm fairly new to chicken keeping but it appears her comb and wattles are off in color. Could it be she is not getting enough oxygen? Do you have any VET RX? Vet Rx is great stuff! It opens up the airways. Just a dab over the nostrils' openings can really help. It's natural herbal antibiotic so no withdrawal time on eggs. Just a thought....Good luck!

8. Rhett&SarahsMom

Rhett&SarahsMom Chillin' With My Peeps

May 8, 2008
    We just lost a BO hen that began like that. She detrioated over a weeks time and I found her passed Sat morning. None of the girls are exhibiting signs of any illness.
    I hope your girl fairs better and gets well

9. lanie8

lanie8 Out Of The Brooder

May 15, 2011
    If she's eggbound I've herd that you should
    put her in a bath with worm water,
    and rub her abdomen.I have read alought
    of post that say that.hope shedoes better

10. Farm Chic

Aug 21, 2008
    Davisburg, MI
    Well thank you all for your helpful advice. We were treating her for what we thought was eggbound but it turned out to be sour crop, at least we think so. Her crop was very squishy and full today and after massaging it, water and some brownish-clear mucus like liquid came out with some grass and no foul odor. Nothing obvious to indicate the main cause for the sour crop. Her abdomen felt firm but seemed normal. We gave her a bath in warm water, massaged her but she only grew weaker after that. Reason I don't think it was egg bound was due to no reaction to my massaging or probing the vent area. She must have been too weak to survive the massaging of the crop. She was a great bird!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by