Update: Dog Attack and Lessons Learned

MountainMamaHST

In the Brooder
7 Years
Nov 17, 2012
West Virginia
For those who don't know what happened. My hens were attacked, two killed, two seriously hurt about a month ago.
Lesson #1: People lie. The lady said she'd tie up her dogs after the attack. They came back. I pulled the trigger but my husband had trigger locked the Ruger (sigh) had to throw rocks at them and get between them and my birds. I called her and told her and they disappeared for a while. They were back tonight, prowling. Didn't come on my property, just circled and watched me. I called her again and left a rather detailed message about where the dogs would be laying if she didn't have them contained and they came after my birds again. Let's see if that works. If not, I really hate to have to kill dogs for being dogs because their owner is too lazy to be a good owner. (no animal control will not get them and the police told me to shoot them).

Lesson #2: Buy lottery ticket, honey, garlic, and apple cider vinegar. Mother Clucker LIVED! She was the one with the bite though her "butt" into her bowels. Poo would come out BOTH holes. She healed just like we needed her to (bowel to skin) and NO INFECTION! I just used a salve of unscented natural baby diaper rash cream (can't recall the name right now) and some triple antibiotic ointment. The vet told me to buy a lottery ticket if she lived. We are considering it. After a week of flushing the wound and applying the cream, she started fighting me really hard. I called back and he told me to let her go, I'd probably cause more injury trying to restrain her than if I just let nature take over. So we did. I slapped her last cream on and behold! Clucker is healed!!!!

Lesson #3: trust your instincts. I don't know much about chickens. Never will claim to. But I listen to my gut now with them. I listen to them too. They took care of each other. I always heard just to make sure no blood is visible so that's what I did. I made sure feathers covered wounds and let them tend to each other. It was amazing to watch. They called to each other when in isolation, they kept each others spirits up. They cuddled one another and covered each other up, taking turns watching over those who were hurt. I kind of understand their chirps and coos now. I listened to them so much the last month... Kind of neat but I honestly think that this has brought me closer to them and them to me. They know how to care for each other and it's neat to hear them talk to one another.

Just thoughts

Thanks to everyone who offered advice and support! They made it
celebrate.gif

I'm so glad they pulled through!! I lost my chickens back in 2011 to dogs. Starting with some chicks again this year and precautions in the yard this time... better ones anyways!

Go get you that lottery ticket, you never know :)

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom