UPDATE egg(was Fluorescent bulb in the coop?

Mattemma

Crowing
10 Years
Aug 12, 2009
I said I would never put a light in the chicken shed,but after buying over priced poop and blood covered eggs the other day(one cracked too) I am reconsidering.

I have a clamp lamp from the chick days. I was thinking of using a low watt fluorescent bulb. I would turn it on around 7 or 8am and off at 5pm when I lock the chickens up. Anyone use this type of bulb with success?

Last 2 winters my hens always laid in the winter.This is the first year I get nothing.They were molting a month or 2 ago. I gave some wormer. Still no eggs.

I am going to set things up today and start today or tomorrow. How long till I MIGHT get some eggs?

Last edited:
Not sure how long it will take for eggs but we use one in the polish coop and the bantam coop. They aren't the best layers but we still get eggs. The big girl coop has 2 4' flouresent lights that come on at 4am and off at 7pm. 6 girls in there and we still get 4-6 eggs a day.

I use a fluorescent bar in my coop,it would easier for you to put it on a timer(cheap at walmart)they need 14 to 16 hours of light a day for egg laying.Mine molted late two this year and still are not laying yet.I have mine come on at 4 in the am and goes off at 8am.

Just remember florescent do not work well in the cold.
I have a back pouch light that is one and once the temp gets below 40 it takes some time to warm up. If below 20 it hardly ever get to its full intensity.

I bought a cheap reflector lamp at walmart, similar to a brooder lamp, I use a CFL bulb, supplied by my electric co. I am getting 2-3 eggs each day from 4, 7 month old pullets. They have 12-14 hrs of light everyday. Their coop is 6'x8' in a corner of my garage so the bulb gives adequate light.

Ok just added the lamp.Quite bright in the ol' chicken shed now. I hope the artifical light won't stress them.Like I said they did lay before,so stopping came as a suprise. I left it on since they are hanging out inside the shed.Darn cold this am with frozen waterers!

38921_045.jpg

38921_046.jpg

Last edited:
I got my first egg from an EE yesterday!!!!!!

I was so excited when I lifted the Boda lid and saw it in there.So 12-10 I put in the light,and 12-22 I got my first egg. Light goes on anywhere from 4am to 6am and off at 7pm-8pm.

Back
Top Bottom