UPDATE: FOUND!!! Help me find this item, please

Discussion in 'Caged Birds - Finches, Canaries, Cockatiels, Parro' started by Rozzie, Nov 19, 2010.

1. Rozzie

Rozzie Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 14, 2010
    I am looking for a certain kind of basket that is used for nests.

These are spheres, like a ball, but with two openings opposite each other. I have no idea what type of caged bird they are made for, but they are big enough for my button quail.

The nests are bigger than a softball. I have two in different sizes that someone bought at a market somewhere and gave me. I'd really like to buy quite a few more but don't know a source!

Last edited: Jan 5, 2011
  2. WoodlandWoman

WoodlandWoman Overrun With Chickens

May 8, 2007
    Wisconsin
    Isn't that a finch style nest?

3. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    I'm not sure. I did a few searches on pet sites online and couldn't find anything similar. I'll try googling finch nest and a few other things and see what I come up with! I'm afraid I don't know much about house birds.

4. peewee

peewee Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2008
    Orlando, Florida
  5. verthandi

verthandi Chillin' With My Peeps

May 18, 2007
    Maine
  6. Tony K T

Tony K T Overrun With Chickens

Jul 28, 2008
    New Hampshire
    Buttons do not require a nest.They will lay eggs all over their cage.
    In N.H.,Tony.
    Quote:

7. Akane

Akane Overrun With Chickens

Jun 15, 2008
    Given a large cage with a sheltered area that has natural materials sometimes buttons will gather their eggs after laying them about the cage and sit on them to hatch. It's uncommon though. One of mine tried it a couple times but never stayed on them longer than a week. Getting natural small branches, safe bark, straw, and other loose materials and using them to shelter a corner works better than a small round nest which they may never go in to. Quail nest on the ground between tall grasses or small branches from bushes not in round nests. They also need to be in a much larger cage than recommended. Mine wouldn't sit in less than a 55gallon tank which is 48x12" and most of the attempts were made in a 90gallon which is 48x18".

8. KimberlyJ

KimberlyJ Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 13, 2010
    My button quail incubate/brood their own eggs. One likes to nest in a flower pot turned on it's side. The other nests in a Superpet Woodland Hideaway. It's made out of wood and is used for a home for hamsters, rats etc. Bought the first one at the pet store. I also fill small flower pots with plaster of Paris and stick long trails of silk ivy in them I place the pot in the corner of the cage and the quail nest under the leaves. Yes it all requires cleaning as the quail share a LARGE cage/aviary with mixed finches.

9. Renie'sPeeps

Renie'sPeeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 20, 2010
    Orford, NH
    That almost sounds like a lamp shade... lol sorry would help you could post a picture.

10. Rozzie

Jul 14, 2010
    Quote:
    They don't require a nest, but mine like them. Those that do have nests lay their eggs in them every single time.

Then again, I have strange coturnix, too. They lay their eggs in nest baskets almost without fail...

Edited to add: My buttons are broody a lot...especially those with sheltered areas.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2010

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by