UPDATE: Hawk attack--patch of hen's skin on back torn off! HELP

Thanks, sumi! She's still alive today and seems to be much more alert. Not eating but I was able to give her about 30 ml of antibiotic/vitamin/electrolyte laced water via dropper. She can stand and move her head and I applied gauze coated in Neosporin to the main wound. The pharmacist at CVS--yes, I asked him about my girl!--said that this would be good to do and just keep the neck clean with antiseptic. Today I talked to staff at the local raptor rescue/rehabilitation center and they said everything I've done thus far is spot-on, thank goodness, but that she might need stitches. They said that when skin is ripped away, the wound looks bigger than it really is because the skin surrounding the gap shrinks back. They gave me their local vet's info and said I should talk to him first thing Monday AM and it would be about $80 to stitch her up. Let's hope she makes it until then. I wanted to share what I've learned thus far with everyone here in the event in happens to anyone else.

Just wanted to give a quick update. I have been nursing my injured hen back to health and things are actually looking good! Her neck wounds have completely healed, can't even tell she had puncture wounds. The patch of missing skin is growing back and looking healthy, except for one raised patch. I think it's scar tissue and I'll post pics this week. She is growing tons of feathers back and seems to be doing just fine! I did take her to the vet a few days after the attack (based on the suggestion from the raptor center) and he said the wound could not be stitched because it was too large. He gave me antibiotic powder to apply to the wound as well as Clavamox (antibiotic pills) to administer orally. It's so much fun giving hens pills! (/sar) Anyway, I have her segregated from the flock until she completely heals and was keeping her confined in a large cardboard box, still do at night but have been letting her "free range" in a large dog kennel during the day. Been feeding her lots of high protein snacks for better feather development, too. Hope this info helps others!

Back
Top Bottom