UPDATE- helped two out- pics of hatch!!!

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by yotetrapper, May 18, 2008.

1. yotetrapper

yotetrapper Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Last night I had two pips. I woke up this morning to those two same pips. Then, a couple hours later there were 4 pips. Then five. No chicks.

So I went to work for 7 hours. Came home to 4 chicks! So since I got home around 7 I've been peeking thru the window on the bator every fifteen minutes, wanting to see one hatch. didnt even see any that looked close to hatching, although I did see a beak sticking out of one egg. So I went and took a shower.

Came out, and there were 5 chicks instead of 4.

I probably wont get to see ANY hatch lol. Sneaky!!

UPDATE:

Just went out there, and saw an egg entirely zipped, and the two halves were moving! So I settled in to watch. The chick was half out, before I thought of the camera. So here are the pics!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 19, 2008
  2. Linda in San Diego

Linda in San Diego Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2008
    San Diego
    A watched pot never boils either!

3. Dawn419

Dawn419 Lost in the Woods

Apr 16, 2007
    Evening Shade, AR
    Congrat's on your new babies! [​IMG]

I always try and set hatches so that Skip can see atleast one chick pip, zip and hatch...with no luck, what-so-ever.

So while we were recovering together, after our bike wreck in Feb., I set a hatch just for him. He was like a little kid and made the best cheerleader! [​IMG]

It was all it took for him to give me the "hatch away" okay! [​IMG]

We're now both fighting over computer room rights to stare at the newly set Silver Spangled Hamburg eggs from Graceful Bantams. [​IMG]

Linda in San Diego,

That's sooo true, but we love to watch that pot anyways. Doesn't take much to amuse us here! [​IMG]

Dawn

4. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    I just went out to the kitchen to get a pack of smokes, and of course I just had to peek in the incubator.

I got there just in time to see #6 come barrelling out of his shell like a bat out of heck.

And THEN the others started pecking him!! He was just laying there, and for a minute I thought something was wrong with him, but I think he was just exhausted from getting out, cos now he's up walking around.

5. Buster

Buster Back to Work

Congratulations on your chicks! Thought I'd let you know that I candled last night and saw veins in 14 out of 15 and the last one is undetermined so I left it.

Glad to hear that your hatch is going so well.

6. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Thanks Buster! I'm glad your eggs look good too! Can't wait to see pictures of yours once they're hatched.

I woke up this morning to 16 hatched, and it's only the morning of day 20th!

3 for sure have pips, and I'm sure more do too but I can't see well with all those babies in there.

I had 42 eggs to start, but about 15 of them were infertile. So I went into the hatch with about 30, so half of those have hatched so far.

This being my first time, I was just sure NONE of them would hatch, so I'm really happy with what I have so far!

7. Guitartists

Guitartists Resistance is futile

Mar 21, 2008
    Michigan
    Congrats!!! [​IMG] [​IMG]

I'm on day 19 and the suspense is killin me! [​IMG]

8. Kessidy

Kessidy Chillin' With My Peeps

May 13, 2008
    Little turkeys! well not literally, but you know what i mean..

9. KYBOY

KYBOY Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 8, 2008
    Eastern,Kentucky
    Congradulations! [​IMG] fun aint it...[​IMG]

10. yotetrapper

May 3, 2007
    North Central MS
    Well, I just helped out two. They had been pipped for over 24 hours. i know a lot say to leave them, and who knows, maybe I killed them, but I also would of killed them had I just left them in there to die.

The membrane was real thick looking, and white and dry. There was no blood at all on the first one, but I stopped when almost done on the second when i saw a tiny drop of blood. One, is all the way out of the shell now that I helped him. The other, a banty, is still in the shell but has half the shell peeled away now. The one that is all the way out doesn't look too hot right now, but I imagine the next hour should decide it.

Right, or wrong, I made my decision and I'm glad I did.

Last edited: May 19, 2008

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by