Update - he's dying. Help? Has anyone tube-fed? My update at end of pg

I dont have any advice. Just letting you know I'm here.. your not just talking to yourself. Whatever happens, I hope the bird isnt suffering.

(((((((hugs))))))))

I have had to hand feed a couple of sick birds and what I use is the Kaytee Exact hand-feeding formula for baby birds. You can buy it in most pet stores in the parrot section. You mix it with warm water to the consistency you want and they can either eat it themselves if they are strong enough, or you can feed it to them.

What I did with the ones that wouldn't eat was to hold the bird under my arm with their head tilted slightly downward to help prevent them from strangling. Then I filled a needless syringe with the food (I mixed it thin like baby food) and I would tug gently on the bird's wattles to open their beak so I could squirt some of the food in their mouth towards the back.

I didn't want them to choke, so I put just a mouthful at a time and allowed them to swallow on their own. In between syringes of food I would dribble water in their mouth to help them wash it all down.

I would keep doing this until I could feel a decent amount of food in their crop and would repeat the whole thing 2 to 3 times a day until they would eat on their own.

It was a pain in the rear, but I have nursed 2 birds through a bad bout of wet pox and one through CRD with this method when they were too sick to eat on their own so I know it can work.

Good luck and I hope your boy recovers!

Thanks for replying guys. It seems the only help you can get with a chicken is either online or from the guy at First State.

cyanne if I do decide to feed, I'll try it like that. I've been looking at pics of chicken anatomy online and I don't feel confident I can tube feed successfully. I had tried putting some yogurt in his mouth earlier, but after a few mouthfuls he wasn't even swallowing it. Maybe I didn't put it far back enough.

My husband gave me some more objective input after seeing the bird and he said he wouldn't force feed him, and if he's still alive tomorrow and still this bad, put him down.

The problem is, even if I tube feed, I don't know if it will help, because I don't know how well his crop is processing anything right now. Truth be told, I wonder if I starved him to death, because last afternoon his crop was so gassy, even after I massaged it, that I decided to hold back on the afternoon meal he had been getting. Then this morning His crop was still hugely gassy, so I massaged it back down as best I could and gave him only yogurt. I thought I had gotten enough food into him in the past few days so that he could do with a little less while I tried to get his crop working stuff through again. And he really didn't drink as much today.

Darn it, I'm second guessing all of my decisions.

I think he may go on his own tonight, so I may just let him be till morning if I don't feed.

If you have some poly-vi-sol drops on hand, they may help. Three drops on the beak twice a day. It sounds like he's had enough food to not starve, but dehydration kills faster. The tube on his right should be the esophagus. Other than that, I know nothing of tube feeding birds. I don't even know if it's feasible, or not.
hugs.gif

The only time I have done it was with a wild baby bird. The lady I bought the food from told me that the throat was divided, one side is windpipe and the other is throat.

I don't know if chickens are the same.

Also, would chick starter made into mash be good?

Cheri

I am having problems with a paralyzed hen, and the vet tibe hed her a couple of times to be sure she got food.
I am capable of doing it, but the vet was worried that the hen would be so weak she could fall asleep while the tube is in and cause damage.
So instead, I am doing the baby bird mix.
I started with a syringe, and found it was easier to just open her mouth and put it in with either the skinny end of a chop stick, or a super tiny spoon.

Are you able to administer sub Q fliuds?
This was also done by my vet a couple of times, and it did help.
I have never done this to a nird, but I have on many animals, and it perks them up considerably!
This would help with dehydration also.

I do hope your boy has made it through another day.

I wish I had seen this thread earlier. Chickens are the easiest birds in the world to crop (tube) feed. Pigeons are second.
You either use a special crop needle which has a blunt end or a piece of thin clear tubing like I use in aquariums. If you open the beak & gently (please do this gently as you can cause damage if you pull it too hard or far) pull the tongue forward, you will see a smallish hole(about the size of a smilie
smile.png
) directly behind it. DO NOT ever put a tube in that hole because it spells instant death as this is the windpipe. As long as you don't put the tube or crop needle in that hole, the rest of the throat leads to the crop. Also put your hand on the crop so you feel when the tube gets to the skin of it & don't force it further or you might damage the skin. Feeling the tube there will confirm that you are in fact in the crop. The tube should go down easily so if you are getting bad obstructions, you may not be in the correct place so try again. Have your syringe connected to the tube from the beginning to avoid fumbling. Once you are in the crop, simply squeeze the whole amount in one go BUT be sure not to put more food than the crop can carry as it will come up the throat once the crop is full & may choke your chicken.
It would be great if someone could post a photo of a chicken with it's beak open showing the windpipe (tongue would have to be held). I'd do it but I don't have any chickens currently as I've just emigrated.
The reason that chickens are the easiest is that you can see the windpipe & therefore avoid it. With birds like parrots, they bite if you try to hold the beak open so you use a metal crop needle & have to feel where you are going. Do not put hot food into the crop as you will burn it. Lukewarm is best.
Also the best way to position them is to stretch the neck up & go in from the side of the beak. I don't even have a toy to demonstrate with
barnie.gif

Either get a partner to hold the bird or do it yourself. You need one hand for holding the head with the beak open & holding the tongue (you can let the tongue go as soon as you are sure you have passed the windpipe & I just use my thumb to pin it forward & against the floor of the mouth) & one hand for the tube. I pin the bird with an arm or thighs but you can grab a friend if it makes it easier.
Now this should only be done as a last resort by novices & I do not take responsibility for botches. I have been doing this successfully from my early teens with only one fatality-a cuckoo chick when I was 12 & didn't do it properly, by putting it down the wrong hole because I wasn't looking. It has saved many many bird's lives & is a useful skill to have. However, this is personal advice so again I caution, use at your own risk. Good luck!
D.gif

May your boy go peaceful if he must go, and may you have peace in your heart about the decisions you have made.
hugs.gif

It is obvious how much you love this member of your family, and I grieve with you as you struggle through this illness.

Although I have no advice, I am sure I am not the only one here watching an caring. Please, let us know how things are going.

(((((hugs))))

Erin

Back
Top Bottom