UPDATE -I'm going to have babies!!!!!!!!!!!

bustnova

In the Brooder
11 Years
Jun 9, 2008
Mesquite, TX
wee.gif
I wanted to give an update. my chickens were laying eggs in the same nest. Now they are sharing the job of sitting on them. Izzy my dark brahma bantam waits for Cinnamon my buff bantam to eat and then they trade places. I would not have believed it if I hadn't seen it. How long is the incubation period? This is my first time. All help and suggestions appreciated.

3 weeks from when they started sitting you should have chickies! Just make sure there is chick starter and fresh water close by. If there are other chickens that aren't sharing mothering duties you should separate them from the moms and babies. Have fun!

I just have the two girls and King the daddy. I am very excited. I can't wait to see them and take lots of pictures.
smile.png

Just make sure you watch the daddy when the chicks are born. Sometimes they will attack those "wierd little things that are following my ladies around." My roo could care less about them and lets them hop all over him, but you never know!

Our RIR roo would call the babies over to eat when he found food. It was adorable. Congrats on the babies-in-the-making. I wish you many little fuzzy butts.
jumpy.gif

Thanks for the tip. I will keep a close eye on him. Will both girls care for the babies?

Last edited:
If both hens are actually brooding them then they will both raise them. If only one is brooding and the other is sneaking in and laying then it will be a different story. You need to mark the eggs she has now and not let her get any more if the other one is still laying. Once they go broody they don't lay any more. If you keep letting the other one lay under her you're going to end up with a bunch of embryos in different stages of development.

ETA: So if your egg count is going up that means only one is actually broody and the other is just laying under her...you need to remove the new egg every day.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom