* update* It sure takes a long time for *her* to lay or...

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by fshinggrl, Sep 22, 2009.

1. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    I have been watching *this hen* lay in the next box all morning!!! For the last 3-4 hours, I hear an egg song and head out. I am still very fascinated (better word than addicted) by the hens laying. I have 13 hens and I know that 7 of them are laying. So, every time I go out, this SLW is laying there. I tried peeking under her at on point and I don't think there were any eggs there. So, 4 hours later, she is finally off the nest.
    Here is what I found. So, I either have a super layer or I can't tell my chickens apart. Which do you think it is? (be nice)
    [​IMG]
    eta: If you would judge colors, would this be three brown eggs or is there a shade of pink in there? (hopefully typing!)

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  2. ozark hen

ozark hen Living My Dream

Apr 4, 2007
    Mansfield, MO
    [​IMG] you have more than one hen laying in the same box. Do what I do when I want to know which girl is which, I use a plastic zip tie in different colors on my hens. I also have one on a nice roo that I want to keep out of 8 look alike buff orpingtons. Make it loose so their leg can grow into it. If it gets small then cut it off and replace with a bigger one.

3. Jessica1228

Jessica1228 Out Of The Brooder

Jul 1, 2009
    Michigan
    We are down to one laying hen at the moment. I head out to the barn every morning after I hear her "egg call of doom". For the past week she has given us two- three eggs a day. No clue why. I know she's the only one in the box. In fact I moved her into a stall to isolate her in the morning. sure enough, the're all hers!

4. fshinggrl

fshinggrl Chillin' With My Peeps

May 1, 2009
    the edge of insanity
    Ok. figured it out. It was just ONE hen, but then other hens would join her in the box and lay their eggs too! [​IMG]

5. SC_Hugh

SC_Hugh Chillin' With My Peeps

May 23, 2009
    Santa Cruz, CA
    Quote:2-3 eggs a day? My understanding is that one hen can lay 1 egg per day and sometimes 2, but never 3 on a regular basis. You must have other productive layers that sneak in quick and make their deposit.

What breed of super layer do you have?

--Hugh

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  6. chick4chix

chick4chix Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 4, 2009
    So Cal
    An egglaying party- whoohoo! [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by