**UPDATE** MY SEBBIES!!

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by Rare Feathers Farm, Feb 18, 2009.

1. Rare Feathers Farm

Rare Feathers Farm Overrun With Chickens

Long story short...

I bought them nearly three years ago from Holderread's. I went down there (20+ hour round trip) and picked them up. Supposedly a trio of show/breeder quality birds...I was ignorantly assuming that they took 3 years or so to reach maturity/laying age and since they are approaching three this spring, I thought they would be good to go this year....but then I was alerted that they should have been laying last year! [​IMG]

I was worried almost sick that I may have all males? [​IMG]

Turns out my Borzoi has developed a taste for the eggs! He was scaling the 6 FOOT HIGH CHAIN-LINK FENCE, eating eggs and then climbing back out with a belly full of eggs!!!! He's going to his handler's house/Canada and some shows around the NW (next weekend), so he'll be gone for a month or so, while I try to collect some eggs and modify the pen. We're thinking a strand of hot wire around the top may deter him! [​IMG]

2. corancher

corancher Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 18, 2007
    Colorado
    Wow. How heart breaking but glad you figured out what was happening. Good luck fixing the problem.

3. Rare Feathers Farm

Yeah--he was doing it every morning...he started escaping his kennel last fall and we had to buy more chain link for the top. His kennel is also 6ft high chain link...

He was sneaking in before it got light out (husband was letting him out for potty break and to run around while he takes a shower). Then, I'd put Brodee away before I left for work. So Brodee was out for about an hour every morning. I have NO IDEA how he even KNEW there were eggs in there?? I guess he smelled them? And the geese didn't even seem upset...I happened to catch Brodee because I had no work on Monday (holiday), but my husband was going fishing and got up early.

I could not fall back to sleep so I got up and saw Brodee climbing OUT of the kennel (hubby had let him out earlier). I was shocked. I wish we could set up the video camera to watch him because it's pretty impressive, really...how he scales the wall....sighs.

4. nivtup

nivtup Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 24, 2008
    Shelton Washington
    Very disappointing on the dogs part, I think it might qualify as a felony.

Good luck with the collections now that the felon has been caught.

5. chickygirl2

chickygirl2 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 30, 2007
    upper marlboro. md
    [​IMG]
    Well at least you'll get some babies this year. They are sooooo cute when they are all fuzzy [​IMG]

6. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I know! Now of course, the weather has gotten colder and even with Brodee on "house arrest" I have not seen any eggs in the last few days...

7. Rare Feathers Farm

Quote:I know! I was going to get some more at Holderread's, thinking maybe I did have all males!!!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by