Update! New baby Japanese quails

Finchmum42

Chirping
Aug 22, 2023
6 days ago we awoke to 4 new japanese quail hatched to our avairy. 2 days later I entered avairy and 1 of the chick was crying and squirming with an arched back. It passed away soon after. Another was crying with its eyes closed. I tried to feed it water and food with a syringe but it died the next day. They had both seemed fine the day before. I'm watching my last 2 chicks carefully hoping they survive. My 2 gouldian finches are in they avairy too and they are behaving strangly. My husband suspected mite. I treated them tonight and am wondering if mites may have been what killed my chicks. This chick raising is stressful!

6 days ago we awoke to 4 new japanese quail hatched to our avairy. 2 days later I entered avairy and 1 of the chick was crying and squirming with an arched back. It passed away soon after. Another was crying with its eyes closed. I tried to feed it water and food with a syringe but it died the next day. They had both seemed fine the day before. I'm watching my last 2 chicks carefully hoping they survive. My 2 gouldian finches are in they avairy too and they are behaving strangly. My husband suspected mite. I treated them tonight and am wondering if mites may have been what killed my chicks. This chick raising is stressful!
Good job on hatching! I can't help out with that, but maybe someone else can. Let me think....

Sorry for you losses.

Did you inspect the bodies? Most likely you would have seen mites on them.

Are the Quail with a broody hen or are you brooding them yourself? What are you feeding them?

I couldnt see any mites on the bodies. They are just hatching naturally in the avairy. They eat chick starter crumble and a poultry layer mash. Possibly they eat the seed dropped by the finches. They are looking good now🤞

Back
Top Bottom