UPDATE - not a molt... worms

JennsPeeps

Rhymes with 'henn'
11 Years
Jun 14, 2008
South Puget Sound
What are the symptoms of a molt (besides the whole feather explosion thing)?

I haven't experienced a molt yet with my chickens. My BR, who has been an unreliable layer, has stopped laying & squatting again. The last time it was due to cocci. She's old enough for a molt now, so I'm wondering if there are any behavioral changes that happen right before a molt.

UPDATE: I just examined her poop & found out that she has worms

Last edited:
In my experience there is none. We refer to it as "exploding." Silkie will look normal one day, and the next its "exploded" in the pen and there are feathers everywhere. No warning. Just a silent *POOF* when you aren't looking...

I would supposed the other symptom *may* be a slow down in egg production, but thats something we wouldn't notice anyway in Silkies.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the quick response. I was hoping for listlessness to be a symptom of a molt. I have no idea what's wrong with my BR. Poor girl.
sad.png

Easiest to tell in a timeline. This bird has always had watery, loose droppings.

May 2008 - purchased as chick
end Dec 2008 - 1st egg
mid Jan 2009 - thing-shelled egg, membrane egg, then quit laying
Feb 2009 - noticed blood in droppings, listlessness, thin. Treated for cocci & cleared it up
early March 2009 - started laying again. Laid well for 2 weeks then quit on 3/15.

Yesterday I noticed that she seemed really listless. Droppy tail. Limited interest in food. I sat down & she hopped into my lap and closed her eyes. She never does this (everything is about food with this girl).

Later in the day she was enthusiastically digging & her tail was erect.
hu.gif
No idea what to do next.

You were dead on! I was just outside & Dumpling pooped right in front of me. I grabbed a stick & moved the poop around to find white worms that were up to about .75 inch long.
sickbyc.gif

Sending DBF out to get a de-wormer today. The whole flock is going to get wormed.

Back
Top Bottom