Update: Now my other Muscovy is not acting right. Sitting and breathing with her mouth open. Help!

Duck_Duck_Goose

Songster
5 Years
Jul 23, 2018
This is an update to both my earlier posts. It is now morning and my 2yr old Muscovy is not acting herself and we know she does not have any crop impaction. I’m leaving the original information here but it seems that whatever is going on it’s communicable and I’m so afraid we’ll lose both of them.
After spending the night reading all the things this could potentially be. I’m not sure if my 4lb, 8mo female Muscovy has a crop obstruction (we’ve only had her 3 weeks and she’s prone to eating odd things) or if she has an illness, or if she has gapeworm. We’d noticed a change in her voice a couple of weeks ago and assumed she’d irritated her voice box swallowing something she shouldn’t have and she’d seemed otherwise fine. We also noticed that she ate really fast but thought it was a learned behavior when living in the wild with other ducks who were picking on her. She’s been laying an egg a day since she arrived (21 so far). We came home this afternoon to find her lethargic, unable to stand/walk, mouth breathing, occasionally coughing, no interest in eating. I’ve placed a small bowl of water by her that she’s sipped on several times throughout the night but not sure how much is actually getting down and as the night’s worn on the less interest she has in even that. I’m a bit overwhelmed, not to mention scared for her and also our 2yr old Muscovy if it’s something contagious. In the morning with the help of my husband I plan to do as I’ve read and place a QTip down her throat to check for gapeworm. There’s an .08% Ivermectin solution available quickly via Amazon but not sure how many drops to give her:
a) initially if it is gapeworm to avoid the dead ones clogging her trachea
b) and then after the initial period to finish the job
c) as a periodic dewormer
Until today her poops had been explosive, very loose and brownish in color. She would go for long periods of time, up to 2 hours and then let loose, unlike our other girl who leaves deposits often. Since we’ve brought her inside for the night we’ve noticed her poop is MUCH smaller and white. The last one she left was a bit larger than the first two and seemed to have a grainy texture so not sure if it’s a blockage breaking up and working it’s way through or an egg that was stuck and making it’s way out or something entirely different. She’s very weak and can barely hold her head up. I’ve massaged her crop in hopes of breaking up and helping move on anything that may be stuck. I also dropped a few drops of olive oil in her mouth to help assist with any possible block. I’m at a loss as to what to do or how to help her.
Unfortunately in our area Muscovies are considered nuisance animals and finding a vet highly unlikely as well as cost prohibitive.

Last edited:
I'm very sorry to hear about your duck.

Could you post a video of her, so we can see how she's acting? To post a video, upload it to a video platform like Youtube or Vimeo, and copy/paste the link here. I would not swab her throat. Gapeworms are located in the trachea. That would mean you'd have to stick a cotton swab into her airways, which is all around just a bad idea.

Poop pictures would be good too.

Sorry, I’m not able to post a video and not sure this will be of any help but both of our girls are lying and mouth breathing. I don’t know if you can see but on the more black and white one her beak is a bit pink where it’s usually white. That isn’t dirty water in the bowl; I added some molasses and a pinch of auger as an enticement but it’s not working.
image.jpg

97ABAAF2-1EF3-46AF-AD5A-89C817EEE158.jpeg

Hard for us to determine what exactly is going on without a video, so if you could try to work on posting one, that would be good.

Are the breaths, long and drawn-out as if there is a respiratory difficulty, or are they breathing fast, almost like a dog panting in a hot car? What is the temperature that they are being kept in?

If you want to just rule out Gapeworm, could to your feedstore, and pick up some SafeGaurd Liquid Goat Wormer. Dose each bird at 0.25ml per pound, orally, once a day, for five days.

Try to work on getting a video, but for now keep her in a stressful free area inside the house with feed, and water provided. You can try offering her soupy feed, or mashed scrambled eggs often. If she isn't drinking much, try to drip sugar water or Gatorade along her bill, to keep her somewhat hydrated.

Back
Top Bottom