Update on Gustaf

Gustaf mom

In the Brooder
Feb 3, 2019
I paid $87. The vet said it was cankers and that it comes from stress—he insisted that was the only way. He also said no treatment was needed and that it would go away on it’s own. He said I could flush it with salt water till it gets better. No prescription. I asked about copper sulfate and he did not recommend it because he said it is hard to get the right mixture composition and it is dangerous to their liver. Gee... I thought cankers was a protazoan parasite. I could really not believe what I was hearing. He actually said they ONLY happen from stress. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask him why the rest of the world seems to think it should be treated with metronidozole and not just run it’s course. I wanted to really be sure and I thought a vet could help me. I don’t think he cared about my chicken AT ALL, and he is a farm/exotics vet! Any advice on how a nonvet can approach a “qualified” vet on this? I will eat my words if he is right, but why can’t I see evidence that he is right about cankers? Honestly, it sounded like he was thinking about HUMAN cankers that are not passed by doves and pigeons through drinking water. I am really not convinced that he even diagnosed it correctly. I am a disabled vet with PTSD and this rooster is truly medicine for me. I will do whatever it takes to help him get well and my anxiety is sky high worrying that I am going to fail him. Can anyone please advise. Thank you.

I paid $87. The vet said it was cankers and that it comes from stress—he insisted that was the only way. He also said no treatment was needed and that it would go away on it’s own. He said I could flush it with salt water till it gets better. No prescription. I asked about copper sulfate and he did not recommend it because he said it is hard to get the right mixture composition and it is dangerous to their liver. Gee... I thought cankers was a protazoan parasite. I could really not believe what I was hearing. He actually said they ONLY happen from stress. I am going to call him tomorrow and ask him why the rest of the world seems to think it should be treated with metronidozole and not just run it’s course. I wanted to really be sure and I thought a vet could help me. I don’t think he cared about my chicken AT ALL, and he is a farm/exotics vet! Any advice on how a nonvet can approach a “qualified” vet on this? I will eat my words if he is right, but why can’t I see evidence that he is right about cankers? Honestly, it sounded like he was thinking about HUMAN cankers that are not passed by doves and pigeons through drinking water. I am really not convinced that he even diagnosed it correctly. I am a disabled vet with PTSD and this rooster is truly medicine for me. I will do whatever it takes to help him get well and my anxiety is sky high worrying that I am going to fail him. Can anyone please advise. Thank you.
I'd say he's an idiot and DEMAND A REFUND!

Back
Top Bottom