Update on my NN x Silkies

apbgv

Crowing
15 Years
Jan 13, 2007
Iowa
Whynnona now has 2 hatching out under her, and I still have the 5 that hatched in the bator. I did have to get them out as the first one is almost 2 days old and they were getting very restless. I have 4 of the 5 are NN out of the bator and Whynnona wouldn't let me look that well and one of her's was still wet, that one is pale colored. I will get pics posted tomorrow. Not sure if the others will hatch. how long should I wait before tossing? :|

Whynnona might accept the chicks you hatched in the bator. I have had chicks to hatch in the bator at the same time I had hens hatching. On occasion, I have had good luck of the mother hens taking the babies from the bator too. I wouldn't attempt this unless the chicks were hatching at the same time. It really depends on the mother hens too! Some may be extremely broody and accept any chicks and others may kill them. It might be worth a try to attempt. Just watch and observe the mother hen with the chicks you add, she may accept them just fine. If she pecks at them then remove them and know that she is wise to know her own chicks. Some hens the more they have the happier they are. If you try this be extremely cautious. Johnny

Last edited:
Hi Amy,
How long to wait before tossing is a tough call.
Today is Day 23 for them? What I would do is pull them out of the bator and candle to see if you can see any movement.
As a last resort to see if they are alive, gently open the egg at the air cell and if the chick is still alive you'll be able to tell. Cover the hole in the shell with tape, put it back in the bator, and make sure the humidity is back up.
Here's a pic from an egg I opened to check (it was still alive
smile.png

http://usera.imagecave.com/tubersnroots/DSC07291.JPG

Can't wait to see pics.

Back
Top Bottom