1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Update on My Rooster - Picasso

Discussion in 'New Member Introductions' started by warner1, Nov 17, 2013.

1. warner1

warner1 Just Hatched

Nov 11, 2013
    Hello again, everyone!

Well, Picasso (a big Americauna) crowed yesterday morning (11-16-2013) for the first time since Halloween. YAY! We took him outside to visit with the girls, again. This time, when Little Red (RIR) attacked him, he was stronger in his defense. Missy, ( a sex- link) was never so aggressive toward him. However, I noticed that Picasso had some trouble keeping his balance from time to time; plus, he seemed lop-sided at times.

It's getting colder here, in the Pacific NW, so I did not want to leave him outside; especially, when he is not 100% and since he's been inside for over 2 weeks. He managed to get up onto the roost with the girls, but I still worried about him being there all night. So, we brought him inside. He seemed quite happy to be inside.

I made certain that he had some more scratch, some more crushed pecans and walnuts, some more fresh greens, he always has plenty of food and fresh water (that's a given). It was fun to watch him have some scratch and then, dig into the fresh greens. I add grit to his nuts and scratch, just cuz.

Every day, he's improving. We will probably, take him outside again, today, and let him stretch his legs and wings, get some fresh air and let him visit with the girls. He has no interest in "tending" to them, so I *know* he's not feeling his best - poor guy.

I'm stunned that he lived, but simultaneously, I'm delighted that he made it. Amazing what some TLC does for an animal.

But for questions and answers from people (all over the internet - I found this place to be the best), I would not have known what to do for him, nor what antibiotics to give him (plus, cleared *that* with my vet).

Thanks again, everyone!

2. drumstick diva

drumstick diva Still crazy after all these years. Premium Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Out to pasture
    Glad to hear he is doing better.

3. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    Hello :frow and Welcome to BYC! Glad to hear Picasso is doing better.

4. warner1

warner1 Just Hatched

Nov 11, 2013
    Thank you!

5. BantamFan4Life

BantamFan4Life Out of the Woods Premium Member

Jun 15, 2012
    Washington
    Welcome to BYC!

6. LeviS

LeviS Chillin' With My Peeps

May 22, 2012