Update on my Siezure Duckling.

NancyNY

Chirping
6 Years
Apr 29, 2015
Great news, no more siezures since we moved them to their new enclosure, but Im worried about him. He is about 1/3 the size of the other ducklings. I thought he might not be getting to the food, so Im hand feeding him. He is eating good, but now I think he might be blind. Our goal was to turn them all out in our pond/lake. All the others are ready, but I don't feel comfortable with letting him go. Also if I kept him away from the others until he is, I think he would be lonely. Any ideas? I know he would come if called. Should I try letting them out during the day, then rounding them up (especially him) at night. That's been my plan. Only I could buy 14 ducks and have 1 thats disabled. Ugh. Im so attached to him now.

If he is blind he'll not survive out on a lake. What about letting one of the others stay with him up at the house inside their own space. Keeping food and water always at the same spot and teaching him to find them, using a whistle or some other device[your voice]. Once the 2 ducklings bond well the duck that can see will probably help the other one find his way around. But to let a blind duckling out on a pond is asking for disaster. And let us know how well you do rounding them all up at night. Many on here have a problem getting their ducks off the water once they find it.

If he is blind he'll not survive out on a lake. What about letting one of the others stay with him up at the house inside their own space. Keeping food and water always at the same spot and teaching him to find them, using a whistle or some other device[your voice]. Once the 2 ducklings bond well the duck that can see will probably help the other one find his way around. But to let a blind duckling out on a pond is asking for disaster. And let us know how well you do rounding them all up at night. Many on here have a problem getting their ducks off the water once they find it.
They are all outside now, husband built a nice nighttime house for them. And Siezure duck AKA Jr is fine. I let them out in the morning and round them up before it gets dark.

They still are unsure about the lake and haven't gone in. But the whole family enjoys them.

Back
Top Bottom