Update on pecked eggs

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by Charlene, Mar 2, 2009.

1. Charlene

Charlene Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 21, 2008
    I posted about 2 months ago about some pecked eggs. I added oyster shell to the diet and lots of free choice food in different areas (these are free range chickens). At the time I had 2 hens, 1 pullet and 1 cockerel.

Well, for a long time all was well. I gave away the cockerel and hoped that was that. Then it happened once and stopped. And then over 3 consecutive days last weeks, three eggs were pecked, some eaten more than others.

I put the pullet in a cage and now I've had 4 perfect eggs. So, I believe she is the culprit.

Anyone know if she'll eat her own eggs? She will probably start laying in the next few weeks. I will likely give her away. She is a mutt, does that have anything to do with it? My BR's are the perfect ladies.

2. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Charlene,
    I had the same problem with a pullet a couple months ago. Try golf balls and/or "fake" eggs in the nests. I rearranged the coop and added buckets as nests. Some say that egg eating isn't fixable, but mine did stop. I think speed is important to stop the habit before it is too set. Some people suggest filling an eggshell with mustard, horseradish, or something like that. Good Luck!

Imp

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by