Update on Rounder, Our Blind Baby Duck

Duckville denizen

In the Brooder
8 Years
May 17, 2011
Texas Hill Country
Rounder, our little blind baby duck, is two weeks old today. She, or he, is thriving although she can't see a thing. She responds to my voice and can find her food and water if it is left in the same place in the cage each day. She loves to follow me around in the yard while I water my plants, but gets very disoriented if she can't find me, so I quack and cheep a lot. She loves swimming in her kiddie pool if the water is good and warm, and goes under and swooshes around like an otter. I've also learned two very important things: 1. Rounder LOVES watermelon. 2. Make sure you have a towel in your lap if you are cuddling Rounder after she's had watermelon.
tongue.png

A good tool is a small bell that you can pin to your pant's leg or other part of clothing. The constant motion will let her/he know where you are. Talking is also a good thing. A blind duck can live a very good life and it is amazing how well they can deal with it.

How wonderful that you have each other. I had my little blind girl inside last night for a swim and since it was cold outside- I put her in a crate inside for the night- She seemed to have trouble hearing in the enclosed area but also even just in the lounge room itself - and was looking very confused- not knowing which direction to turn towards my voice. Outside she does very well- and will almost run at times when I call her name- I just make sure their is nothing left around the yard that she can trip over. With the weather being much warmer over there- it really is important that she has access water when you are not around. I had to leave Stevie-Ray in a small enclosed area during a few very hot days- as she cannot get to shade by herself, dehydration can happen very quickly if she was outside. It does sound like for now at least- she only ventures outside when you are there- but for the future when she is grown it will be something to think about when working out how to house her.

WE have a very small back yard, but it is enclosed so our little Shih Tzu can't get out. A couple of years ago, my husband built a folding pen that we raised two baby ducks in, but my neighbor is using it now for her three, who are about 6 weeks old. We plan to get it when hers are ready to be released and use it for Rounder. It's about 8 x 8, and can be moved wherever we want it in the yard, although we left it in one place all of the time for Mal and Tux. For Rounder, I feel that we could move it around so she could have benefit of the grass in different areas, but we would still have her feed and water in the same position, regardless of where the pen was. I was watching her this morning, and she ate by herself from her feed dish and immediately turned to her water right behind her, so I think she can manage those if they are always in the same place. I figure I will take her out of the pen or cage a short while every day so she can get used to the bigger yard and get some exercise, and I can put her in the kiddie pool for a dip each day. She does quite well in a large plant saucer, too. Right now, she is in a small, enclosed cage out in the yard during the day, and I bring her in and keep her in a box inside at night. She usually has a few minutes to sit in my lap and cuddle before bedtime.

Back
Top Bottom